Thread: Sick discus

Sick discus

After a week of being on vacation, I came home and everything looked normal in my discus tank. Then as I fed my discus their usual evening feed of bloodworms, I notices that three of my four wild discus where not eating. I then decided to wait two days before asking for help and got the fish back on their regular routine, with two feedings of flake during the day, and their bloodworms at night, along with 60% water change every other day. Still no interest. The fish themselves have darkened in color, and they hide more than normal.

The only thing I can think of would be internal parasites which I will treat for tonight. All my other discus (snakeskin, yellow, mercury) are doing very well and their behavior and appetite could not be better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not intend on loosing these fish.

Do one thing at a time, worming is a good start if there are no other symptoms I fear they really missed the regular water changes and the water quality dipped while you were away. Have you checked for ammonia? There could have been a spike and wilds are more sensitive than domestics.

More info would be good, tank parameters, colour of poo etc.
    Cheers Kath

I am almost sure they missed the water changes. I'll start with water parameters:

Ph-6.8
    Nitrate-0
    Nitrite-0
    Ammonia-none

I have done water changes before I tested, so I am not surprised the water is stable. I have not noticed any white poo. A few things have changed since I posted this morning. The discus that was eating before is still eating and showing good color. My largest male is still not eating, but he has shown more of a spawning attitude(body shakes, guarding spawning site, very prominent breeding tube) and he is ok for the moment. The second of the three, also male, is just dark, not eating, and swimming around a peice of wood the other male is not near. The third fish is the one I am really concerned about. It is a female, and I might add no fish is picking on her. She is still quite fat in the stomach, and it's either eggs or bloat. She swims at a 35 degree angle and is breathing heavy. She is not eating.

I will post pics soon.

these are both males. just not eating and dark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001_782.jpg  

This is the fish that is eating well and showing good color, sorry about photo quality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002_134.jpg  

And the female i am worried about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003_991.jpg