Hi, I'm New Here!

How do I bring out the colours in my fish ?

G'day all,

the problem I have is that while the plants in our 950 litre tank are taking off really well all the fish look pretty dull - my wide is beating the sh.. out of me for spending hundreds on new fish (that I think look OK), but she's kind of right: all fish look pretty much the same in colour, no matter whether dwarf cichlids, tetras, or discus.

My suspicion is it's the colour temp of our lighting: we use Tri-Phosphor tubes with a colour temp. of 5,000 K (they were cheap @ Bunnings; wifey wanted a pair of shoes, not darn light for the dumb fishes, on that day... ). Looking up the spektrum it seems to me that 5,000 K is pretty much yellowish-green, but not anything else. Is that correct, and would I be better off adding some 6,500 to 10,000 K fluoros to the mix, so that the colours come out better ?

Thank you for your help, cheers,

Florian

NB. We have a total of ten 120 cm fluoros over the tank, so there is the opportunity to throw others into the mix.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    yes, the blue of your fish will pop-out drastically.

I had 2x double 4' fluorescent on a 6' tank.
    At first, I used 4 3k fluorescent as they were almost free.

I kept 2 cheep fluorescent and replaced the other 2 with a PowerGlow and AquaGlow. One is considered acnitic and wont show K on the chart if I remember well, but it was very nice with Frontosa.

Just an Egg
    I replaced 2 out of my 4 39W POWERCHROME Midday with 39W POWERCHROME Aqua Flora the red in the fish and plants pops-out. I bought them from guppysaquariumproducts. Have a look at my videos if you want to see the difference, hopefully this will help you.