Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White nodules

Larvae
    They do look a little thin from photo.. would need a few more shot to be sure... Front on would be best
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Looks like stirpping the tank to bare basics, turning off the light, cranking up temp to 30 degrees, dosing them on salt (one and half recommended dosage of aquarium salt) with regular water changes (every second day) got rid of the nasty nodules.

They have even started breeding again

San Merah Discus
    I realise this is a pretty old thread but I've only just come across it and it's an interesting topic.

We didn't say too much at the time because it never seemed to do any harm to the fish or their breeding and they came and went but we used to get these quite regularly when keeping heaps of adults and sub adults.

Strange thing was we never used to see them on a red based fish and rarely on blues. It was the Web Leopards & other Snake Skins that used to get them most regularly and anything PB based would be the next one in line.

Never worked it out, always looked like fat globules to me and when I asked our vet she didn't know either although she never saw one in the flesh.

We tried salt and parasite meds at times but when that had no affect whatsoever we came to the conclusion it was just one more thing we don't know much about yet. They come they go.

Just an Egg
    Sorry to bring up and old thread.

Got my first discus yesterday. One of them appears to have the exact same white nodules as in the macro picture above. Did we come to a conclusion of whether or not this is harmful?

The nodules come and go throughout the day, and were not there yesterday when I picked up the fish. Sometimes they are visible, sometimes the are not. There are at most 5 nodules, sort of like a clear mucus like 2mm 'fishing'-like line, with a white spot on the very end like a head. The photo above is identical to my problem.

Fish otherwise seem completely healthy, and unbothered. Alert, actively feeding, not shy at all, normal poo etc.

In coming weeks i'm planning to worm and treat for flukes.

Cheers for any help/peace of mind!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Have you done the worm and Fluke treatement, im curious to see if it fixed the spots??
    Thanks

Just an Egg
    The spots seemed to only be there for the first 2-3 days after introducing to quarantine. Never saw them again.

I have treated for flukes and wormed and never seen them again.

They did not seem to bother the fish at all, i'm inclined to think it wasn't a parasite, maybe more mucus glands or something, but who knows..

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Im treating my community tank tonight. Ill see what happens.
    Thanks
    Ian

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I should also mention that I used a UV sterilizer which may have zapped whatever it was out of existence? Haven't had a problem with these nodules since late 2011.