Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White nodules

Hi, I'm New Here!

White nodules

Hi,

In addition to the white pussy stuff that one of my discus seems to be coughing up, he had white nodules that come and go. Now these white nodules seem to be spreading to my other discus . I managed to capture some good photos of a nodule that appeared overnight on one of them - see attached photos. At the base of the nodule it looks red and almost inflammed.

I have a 500 litre tank and I am doing 100 litre changes each day. My partner is suggesting we remove all substrate, plants and background to get a more controlled environment.

Water parameters are as follows
    27 degrees
    pH - 6.8
    Nitrate - 0ppm
    Ammonia - between 0 and 0.25ppm
    Nitrate - 0ppm

Does anyone have a clue what this might be??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nodule_ii.jpg   nodule_1_resized_ii.jpg  

Larvae
    See this alot lately. Can't seem to find any real answer for ya
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

It's not anchor worm is it?

its looks a little too small but that matches the symptoms. have you tried a wormer like prazi?

can you bring your ph down a little to say 5.8-6.0 that will take care of your trace levels of ammonia and make it harder for things (not discus) to breed.

removing all your gravel and plants might not be such a bad idea.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I am pretty sure one of my other fish had an anchor worm a while back which left a rather big scar. It is completely healed and Promethyasul seemed to helpher recover. She was stressed at the time with fry.

These nodules however, seem to move around the body. They remind me of a jack in the box. They'll pop up in one spot by morning and be gone by midday only to reappear somewhere else the next morning. Weird stuff!!!

I'll lower the pH and strip the tank completely. I'll try salt and if that doesn't help I think i'll give Melafix a go.

Keep you updated....

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    Melafix? I wouldn't bother unless your goal os to make the tank smell pretty.

See if they disappear next time you worm them.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Okay, i'll give melafix a miss then....

I woke up this morning to find around 4 nodules/tubes hanging out of the big male. I got some pictures that I attached. They don't last long and seem to retreat back into the body or just die after a few hours. They are really weird. He still eats which is good to see and he isn't coughing up all that white stuff any more. The twitching attacks appear to have subsided also.

I have removed everything from the tank. Lights are off, trying to get temp to 30 degrees, hovering at 29 at the moment. 200 litre water change every second day (it's a 500 litre tank). Dosing them with aquarium salt.

I have already treated the tank twice with Kusuri. I have AquaMaster fluke and tapeworm tabs that I could try???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tubes_on_discus.jpg   tubes_on_discus_ii.jpg  

Larvae
    I had them on some fish I just bought recently. Went away as you said. Did not notice them moving. Could it be mucus?

Whats the white bits on the bottom of your tank?
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Good question..... it must be white poo! Some of the fish have worms I presume. Even after two doses of Kusuri. Might have to give them a dose of Prazi.

n.hanke
    if you have been giving these fish so many meds it might be time to give them a break for a few weeks and get the water right .Get the temp up , do a few water changes before you treat them again. it might be better to get a extra air pump and aerate the water a little more .just give the salt another try . see how that goes

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Okay, point taken...