Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by swampy1972
    Buy Otto's. They're better than SAE and won't hassle your Discus.

Many people keep them in shrimp tanks because they are so placid.
    Found this and says they suck on discus.

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/otto.htm
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

I'd be surprised, they are extremely timid. I rarely see mine, but I know it's there because the Algae levels are on the gradual decline.

Max, if you're near Fishchick aquarium at Annerley I'd suggest going to have chat with Jodie. She'll be able to advise you on a number of strategies.

Wrigglers
    True SAE's will not suck on Discus slime nor bother them at all.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/saes.htm

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummaga...e-eater-id.htm

However there are some LFS who sell unsuspecting buyers something other than an SAE, such as a false SAE/Flying Fox and it will without doubt end in tears.

Keep at least 2 or 3 SAE's together as they like one another's company. Personally I think they are a MUST for any tank - just keep a close fitting lid or they might jump out!

Cheers!

Greggy

Just an Egg
    Great replies. I am not confident enought to employ the chemical attack as suggested and would hate to lose any fish, BN or corys included as they are also my pets now :P

Tried the scraping part but it does not want to budge and the cost of a CO2 system is a bit beyond me atm.

The water flow suggestion sounds good also and I may reposition my flowbar on the exteranl cannister to point down. Thanks.

Greggy, I have consulted with a LFS and he suggested the siamese flying fox also so I bought two of them (very small juveniles at this stage).

It had me worried about the sucking on the discus thing but you seem to have discounted that here. I shall never the less keep an eye on them. Will let you know if it works out.

Cheers

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpayne40
    Greggy, I have consulted with a LFS and he suggested the siamese flying fox also so I bought two of them (very small juveniles at this stage).
    Just be doubly sure they are SAE's and not Flying Foxes - while they are two different fish LFS usually combine the names.

The true SAEs have small barbels around the mouth and the central black stripe continues through the tail fin.

Cheers,
    Scott

Just an Egg
    Thanks for that info Ghoti. Just checked them and although they are young you can see the black stripe goes through to the tail fin. The stripe is also in the centre of the body, although the barbels (is that whiskers) are hard to notice at thier age. They swim together (actually chase each other around) and hang around the top to middle. They also seem to be adjusting well and do not bother anyone else in the tank. I have not seen them eat the algae as yet (BBA). Perhaps they are still too small and adjusting to the tank. I take it they do sound like the real deal?.

Just an Egg
    Ghoti, I also noticed that the fish I have (hopefully SAE) seem to go vertical at times in the water and seem to like the current. Also they seem to like each others company.

Free Swimmer
    Sounds like you got the right ones!

Cheers,
    Scott