Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Black Beard Algae

How do I get rid of this algae without killing my fish?. I read the article "WARNING a double dose of Excel may kill more than your algae" and am a bit concerned.

I seem to be getting a bit of it lately despite regular water changes. I do fertilize the plants but do not put CO2 in.

Thanks.

Free Swimmer
    I'm ceratainly watching this one with interest!

Whiel I generally have not got a BBA issue, for some reason it seems to have an afinity for the powerhead on the LHS of my tank and an anubias on the right (of a 6 foot tank).

I generally remove the affected leaf (or leaves) and scrpe the powerhead clean, but have found that it returns even after a PP soak overnight, and a week in a closed bucket covered with a blanket stored in the cabinet!

Cheers,
    Scott

Blue Diamond Discus
    I read somewhere to add water flow near the plants so I did. the end where the spray bar faces down onto the plants no bb alge the other end the spray bar goes along the top of the water and the plants up that end bb alge. So who knows it could well be right.

hydrogen peroxide will work 100ml of 3% in 300L should do the trick add it an hour before the lights go out.

might still kill your fish but all i ver lost were some bns and otto's

Both good pieces of advice. I only get BBA when the foam prefilter glogs and restricts flow. When I clean the foam the flow returns and the BBA goes.
    H2O2 works, but ensure you turn off your filter during the treatment otherwise it will kill the bacteria within the filter. Once the bubbling stops you can turn it back on, or do a 50% WC before turning it on.
    You can also dip individual plants rather than treating the whole tank by dipping them into a 1:15 water/bleach mix for 2min. Then take them out and rinse thoroughly. Also a good idea to give them a final rinse in water with a double dose of dechlorinator.

Just an Egg
    I've had a lot of planted tanks over the years and why'll excel works well the cost when doing big water changes in a big tank is over the top.
    I have found all my tanks with co2 on them never get over run BBA to the point where you would be lucky to find any at all.

Wrigglers
    Hey, I'm not sure about how you feel about adding fish but I had a bit of a BBA breakout on all my driftwood in my 4 foot tank a few months ago and found that a couple of mature Siamese Algae Eaters (Flying foxes) added to the tank got rid of all of it. I could of just been lucky but it seemed to work for me, good luck.

Luke

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by JamezMan
    Hey, I'm not sure about how you feel about adding fish but I had a bit of a BBA breakout on all my driftwood in my 4 foot tank a few months ago and found that a couple of mature Siamese Algae Eaters (Flying foxes) added to the tank got rid of all of it. I could of just been lucky but it seemed to work for me, good luck.

Luke
    Great for algae those little suckers, but for discus nothing but a nightmare. Always trying to suck on the side of them. Could not wait to get mine out of the tank. Bloody fast moving too so was unable until drained tank completely
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Wrigglers
    Oh true, I did not know they were no good for discus.

Buy Otto's. They're better than SAE and won't hassle your Discus.

Many people keep them in shrimp tanks because they are so placid.