Thread: sick discus grr

Hi, I'm New Here!

sick discus grr

hey people, have two sick discus they are covered in a white film cloudy eyes and fins are cloudy/milky

ph 6.2 no ammonia or nitrate
    temp 29

You will need to report all your test results, if you have no nitrate then your tank is not cycled and it could be ammonia burns. If you have a cycle tank then your test results are wrong, how old is your test kit?
    Are you using a conditioner like Prime to protect your fish?
    How often are you doing water changes?
    What temp do you keep the tank at?
    Have any new fish been introduced lately?
    Really need more info because ammonia burn or fungus or something else are all treated differently, its just not a matter of chucking something in the water.
    Cheers Kath

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Ok did tests on tank again ph 6.2 nitrate is 5ppm ammonia was .25 but just done a 2 inch change yes I use prime as a water conditioner and I also use stability when adding new fish and every second water change. I change about the 2 inch mark every 3 days tank is 1450 x 600 x 560 approx 480 litres oh temp is 29 and the only thing new is a crypt plant

Quote Originally Posted by jason0allisonm
    Ok did tests on tank again ph 6.2 nitrate is 5ppm ammonia was .25 but just done a 2 inch change yes I use prime as a water conditioner and I also use stability when adding new fish and every second water change. I change about the 2 inch mark every 3 days tank is 1450 x 600 x 560 approx 480 litres oh temp is 29 and the only thing new is a crypt plant
    The first thing I see is the ammonia and that has to be coming from somewhere, is there a small fish dead somewhere? under plants in something? Have you rigorously cleaned your filter lately? For some reason you have ammonia and so the fish could have burns and be losing its slime coat. To this I would add salt to the aquarium as a soother as well as a barrier to potential infection. Salt dosage should be in this forum do a search read and learn from these experiences.

Personally I think your water changes are too small I always do a 1/3 but your nitrate level is not too high atm. When changing water and do salt treatment only add back the amount of salt you have taken out. I would recommend daily changes until your fish start to look better, you are trying to keep water clean and fresh as to try and avoid further complication with bacteria or fungus.

Of course all this is said without even seeing the fish so a picture would be good to see just how bad the "two sick discus they are covered in a white film cloudy eyes and fins are cloudy/milky " really are.

HTH
    Cheers Kath

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi thanks for your info I have cleaned filter the other day washed all bio in tank water I have been doing water changes everyday adding salt prime and some kh as I thought I'd raise ph a little maybe??? Fish are looking a little better eyes arnt cloudy but slime coating is looking like its ready to drop. Trywd to uplaod pics but it didn't work

You need to reduce the size of the file, click on the red "Allowed Extensions and Sizes" on the bottom left hand side when you go to reply again , it will tell you what is allowed or use a third party like photobucket and link the image that way.
    Cheers Kath

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi thanks heaps fish arnt much better but what I can't workout is that there are 3 discus in the tank and only two sick go figure and they have been in the tank the same time??? Doing a good 3 rd water changes adding prime salt not eating but they are hanging in there hope pics work if not could u pm me a email address of mobile number I could send u pics to???