Tiny Fry

Cleaning a Discus spawning cone

Hi,

I've got a JBL Discus spawning cone that I'd like to start using again. It's been out of any tank for some time and has some algae on it from the last time it was in the tank.

What is the best way to clean the cone and be sure it is safe to put back into a tank?

The JBL site says "Easy to clean and disinfect" but doesn't give any detail.

Cheers,

Chris

Medium Discus
    Hi Chris

I do this often: Clean in normal tap water with a little laundry disinfectant Clean both faces inside and outside of cone. I use a toothbrush (new one and only use for fish maintenance) to get to smaller areas. Rinse very well under tap. I then place the cone in the sun for a few days. This will kill any algea left over. Before use i rinse the cone again in tap water and let it dry. Then ready for use. Good Luck.
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

I just scrub mine with a sponge and some dilute bleach (10%). Leave in the sun to dry and your good to go

Tiny Fry
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for that info. Will give that a try.

Elsewhere I'd found an option of soaking in a high salt solution.

It is more about getting the cone clean(er) than it is. I'm pretty sure the algae should be dead as it hasn't been in water for about 18 months.

Chris

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I used 4" PVC cut to about 24 cm in length. PVC is easy to clean and won't crack the glasss if the fish knock it over in passion. Sure the ceramic looks cooler...
    Back to aquariums after a 16 year absence

Lol l'm the odd one out. I just put it in the tank with some bristlenose cats, if its worth removing they'll eat it.

Don't get too hung up on it needing to be sterile and clean. My fish spawn on leaves, rocks, driftwood, side of the aquarium and every now and then on a breeding cone.

Here's a pic l took this evening.