Thread: Led lights

Led lights

Hi all i found these led lights on the internet and was wondering if they would be any good for lighting up my aquarium .Its just i dont really understand how all the lighting thing works i.e kalvens watts

spectrums .http://www.spectrumlighting.com.au/led_tube_lights.php

ok just for referance heres a quick rundown.

kelvin: this is the colour temp of the light produced
    eg sunlight 5000-6500k
    bright white/cool white ~10000k
    cold white 14000-20000k

spectrum: the wavelength of light produced measured in nanometers (nm). this is the most important thing to concider depending on your needs eg
    plants blue: (400-450nm) and red(630-700nm)
    human eye (500-600)
    coral (400-460nm) but they still need a little of the other spectrums

watts: how much power the bulb(s) consume, in the old days it was assumed all bulbs were equally efficient at converting electricity into light, today this is not the case. watts is best used to work out your power consumption only.

those tubes you posted are uselss for plants or even fish with out some spectrum data

Thats Illusn for the info i understand it all little better now .

I have sent the company an email regarding the spectrum data on there lights .Lets see if they get back to me .

browsing through ebay i came across these
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T8-18W-Co...item33688cb073

direct replacement for 4foot T8's (just remove starter) 6000-7000k (midday sun) equivelent lumments to 55w fluro, this means they should be about the same output as a 54wT5 HO, and he's located in Sydney!

Have asked the seller for spectal info but if they have a good spread from 430-490nm they should be enough to grow plants under.

Het Illusn can you let me know what the seller says and if you think they would be good for tanks .
    Thanks regards Mark

Would really appreciate if if people would stop spaming this forum with their own sites and actually provide usable info.

I herd back from the sydney bloke and he sent me the tech sheets on the T8 LED tubes its all in chinease but the spectral info is there, they are a little weak in the 600-660nm red but have a nice strong peak around 430-460nm in the blue where most of photosynthesis occures, loks like these could be a winner.

unfortunately i dont have any T8's to test them in any volenteers i'll split the cost of the bulbs with who ever wants to give them a try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t8led.jpg  

Larvae
    I have been looking at these led lights but I was never sure if they had the correct spectrum or not I am willing to give them a go and see how they go. I was looking at other ones but by the time I got them shipped they were almost $90 and I wasn't really willing to part with that kind of cash on something that wasn't exactly what I want/need, but seeing as you have a hell of alot more knowlege about this you have given me the confidence to at least try these lights

I also visited my local lighting store to see ifthey could get me something in and the could but they were over 10000k which I am guessing are way to strong and she wanted to charge me $160 per globe

Yeah 10000k is fine for coral but too blue for plants as I said these are a little weak in the red but should do ok at $64 shipped they arnt too bad comparable to a high end t5.

The big issue with most of the china stuff is shipping yeah the price is cheap online but after shipping curency conversion western union fees my $13 led drivers were $39!!!! If you can find someone who's already done the hard work and brought them in it's worth giving them a try