Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wild Caught Browns, Blues & Heckels

I just thought i'd share some of the Wilds I have just got from Marlon.

If you have picked up fish from Marlon's house these are the Wilds from his personal collection.

So far I have moved 4 of the 8 and the other 4 I will bring home on the weekend. I intend on keeping 4-3 of the 8 (selling 3-4) and passing on the good deal I got buy buying all the lot.

The 4 that went in last night have all sprung to life this morning after their 1hr trip across Sydney. They are schooling with my other discus well and 2 ate some beefheart this morning.

I got 1 bad photo on my iphone last night of my favourite of the first 4 (lights were off and it was dark in their tank). The 2nd wild in the shot was not comfortable as this was about 15mins after going in. Though all 4 are holding fins high, swimming well this morning.

Good photos finally.

Large Heckel

Medium Heckel (rescued from deaths door and wont grow but still stunning)

Large Semi Royal Blue Inanu #1

Large Semi Royal Blue Inanu #2

XLarge Blue #1

XLarge Blue #2

Large RS Green

1 more XLarge Blue to come. Camera went flat half way through shoot.

edit

Your large brown is not a brown. It is a green one.

Why do you say that? I'm keen to know.

Medium Discus
    He is right IRS a green. Once it settles into your tank it will start to show red spots. It's an rsg. Some of them don't appear to happy. It may be just the quality of the pics. Wilds don't like being moved at the best of times, but if we watch water quality over the next few weeks I think they will settle in well. The key with wilds is very consistent water quality and lots of clean water.

I'll agree that some arn't happy.

These are the tank parameters.

PH 6.3
    Ammonia 0-0.25ppm (was 0ppm yesterday morning, it has gone up because of the increased fish load)
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5.0ppm
    KH 25-50ppm (2 drops on API KH test)
    GH 25-50ppm (2-3 drops on API GH test)

Temp 29

Lower your pH SLOWLY, and make sure your ammonia is 0 at all times, if you aim for a pH of 5.5-6.0 you'll have less problems with your wilds.

As said above stable clean water is a must, I had the best results with rain water with my wild heckles (pH 4.5-5.1 kh 0 gh 0 temp 30C) even then discus plague wiped them out whens dads tank split and he transfered all his fish into my system

PH has been dropped from 6.8 to 6.3 across 5-6 days. I first started lowering the PH last Thursday night.

Ammonia will be back to 0 tomorrow night. I have meds from Marlon in there that needed to stay in for 5days without water change

Larvae

i agree

I agree that the last pic is of a green, the yellow in the body, red spots on the bottom fin are both typical of wild greens, they are my favorite out of any discus. When they are in good water and get moody (fighting or breeding) they can become bright yellow with black stress bars, they look really nice.