Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

My blue turquoise has been unwell now for 2 weeks

My blue turquoise has been unwell now for 2 weeks, I treated tank for with Aqua Master fluke and tapeworms anesd have sone appropriate water changes.

The other fish seem fine, but he has done a lot of white poo and wont eat, not even live food. Hes very skinny, has occasional clamped fin and his colour is not bright and is just hanging around at the top at 45%............

Is it too late for him and shall i put him out of his misery (euthanase) before others get sick or may he still come good???

I have 5 other discus...............

Pls HELP!!!!

Poppy

Poppy can you get your hands on some Metro. I think your discus may be suffering from hex. Can you isolate him in a hospital tank. Raise the temp to 32 degrees and treat him at the recommended dose for 5 days. Keep the water very clean, and dark, as metro is affected by light.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    thanks lady red........

is that the stuff you need to get from a vet?

I dont have another tank but could set up something, with a filter but I am scared this will stress him in a bucket

hes really deteriorating

thanks

Medium Discus
    Hi Poppy gee thats bad news I know how you feel I've been through that lately myself with 2 juvies one with success and one I put to sleep as got bad HITH. Yes you can get that from the vet but the vets round my area wanted me to take the fish in which I believe would cause the fish more stress but you might have better luck. You can get a prescription of Flagyl from your doctor if hes nice enough to give it to u its the same stuff. I found that a tbs of salt per 40ltrs plus the heat rise that Merrilyn suggested can help with the recovery as well. Good Luck.

leanne

Can you get a photo of the fish, and take that into the vet. He might be more inclined to give you metro if he can see a reason.

Just an Egg
    thanks........... yes i agree moving him would be too much at the moment............ if his fins rot real bad and he starts to look too sad...... i will have to put him in heaven..........

Hes till in good spirits at the mo?

Do u get flagyl from a normal GP??

Thanks

Medium Discus
    I have never myself got this from the doctors but yes any gp will do Im sure if they no you well enough you shouldnt have a problem.
    Dont give up on your little guy just yet mine was real sick for 2 1/2 months before I put him to sleep theres every chance he might pull through, but raise the temp and add salt while you get some metro.

Leanne

Just an Egg
    hi

thanks for the feedback, I am getting some Flagyl thru Doc (hopefully) tomorrow.

I think it would be better to dose tanks as others may be infected but not showing........ or do i need to isolate him ???

Poppy

PS Pls find attached pic of bluey in better days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bluey.jpg  

wow very nice!!!
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Good luck poppy. He's a really nice looking little fish, and worth fighting for. Are any of the others showing symptoms. It still might be a good idea to treat the whole tank at this stage, rather than stress him further by moving him to a bucket.