Thread: Ammonia????

Wrigglers

Ammonia????

Hi All,

Today, I have an ammonia reading for my tank.

It is 6x2x2 and until today there has been no indication of ammonia in the tank. Earlier today I did a 150 ltr water change, RO water prepped with Kent Marine RO right and Discus Essentials.

It has now been running for three weeks. On setup I used all the media from the filters from the tanks that the discus had been living in for over six months. I used water from the Q tank, the 4x2x2 that the other group had been living in and water from my preparation tank. The filter is an Eheim 2180 working at about 75% capacity, giving a high flow and good turnover.

I am getting no indicator of NitrItes and around 5ppm for NitrAtes. Ph is 6.6, Gh is 3 and Kh 1 (or thereabouts). The only fish in the tank are discus, all are present and correct (none MIA and rotting away in some undisclosed area).

The driftwood in the tank has all be aged in tank water for well over a year (some of it I have had for probably close to 20 years).

I run Indian Almond Leaves in the filter but the tannins released by these leaves have not given me indications of Ammonia previously.

The fish are very active, alert and are showing no signs of illness/poor health. There are two fish in there that have previously shown a little timidity, settling into the new tank, that are now out and about looking more active and alert.

Any input would be much appreciated.

I do have more water prepared (500 ltr if required),for a further change if necessary or if things appear to be going downhill.

Regards,

Bob

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    How high is the reading? I would hit the tank with good water change and some prime.

Borrow another test kit or take it into your LFS just to double check.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

Medium Discus
    Good call. I once had a test kit which gave me false readings. Get a new test kit or get someone else to rest it for you

are you using an api test kit? or any other test kit that reads ammonia as yellow?

almond leave will release tannins, these react with the indicater in the test kit to read positive.

try a hagen test kit or a seachem ammonia alert, if these come back normal you dont have ammonia.

Wrigglers
    Hi All,

Thanks for the rapid input. Test kit is API yellow indicator for ammonia.

As mentioned in the initial post fish have never looked better.

Will sea if I can get a hagen or seachem kit.

Thanks again,

Bob

Tiny Fry
    I read on here somewhere that if you use prime the API kit will give false readings ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Goodoo,

Thanks, I knew I had read on here something about API Ammonia kits giving false readings in certain conditions. Just could not remember what. I do not use prime. I think ILLUSN is on the money when he tells me the same regarding IAL and tannins. I have spoken to old mate at LFS today (API kits only) and he is willing to get me in a hagen or seachem kit.

Regards,

Bob

Just an Egg
    I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if you ended up getting a seachem test kit? I got ammonia readings on my tank the other day and freaked out, then remembered hearing that Prime could give a false read if testing with a different brand.

Wrigglers
    Hi Woodsie,

I only had the one anomolous reading. I am still running with an API kit but I have now got a Nutrafin kit as well.

Regards,

Bob

Just an Egg
    I do 50% wc everyday so I was suprised to get a reading. To be honest I don't really test that often it was only really because I was going to be putting in new discus that I purchased from mawhins that I tested.
    Lol hubby came home with this a few nights ago. I put it in this morning. I thought it was pretty funny. Anyone use/used them?
    Hmm this picture reminds me I need to clean the glass ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seachem.jpg