Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Medium Discus
    Just to clarify my comment about simply discus, it's not the forum I have an issue with it's some of the members. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Free Swimmer
    I would agree that posting your gradings on the website would help. As a newbie I struggle to tell the difference between A, AA, Show grade etc. Only difference I see is the price tag :^)

Never the less, I'm very envious and would be proud to own any of them!

Cheers,
    Scott

Medium Discus
    Thank you

The internet... where everyone that has a keyboard is an Xspert...

Do you all know what xspert stands for?

X - is an unknown quantity;
    spert - is a drip under pressure...

Marlon I would call an expert not an Xspert. If you have not been to his place and seen his fish in person you really don't have the right information for which to judge him or his discus.

Wrigglers
    Hi Pfeff,

Can I ask what criteria you use to judge the quality of a fish other than what you are told by Marlon regardless of his experience and level of expertise or XSpertise.

Others have indicated that some of Marlon's show grade fish exhibit clear faults and have identified those faults against criteria. Whether or not the photos do the indicated fish justice or not they do "appear" to have clear faults.

Can I also ask you how many other experts you have spoken to and listened to as they assess the "Quality" of a fish explaining why they have rated it as a certain standard?

Regards,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by pfeff
    The internet... where everyone that has a keyboard is an Xspert...

Do you all know what xspert stands for?

X - is an unknown quantity;
    spert - is a drip under pressure...

Marlon I would call an expert not an Xspert. If you have not been to his place and seen his fish in person you really don't have the right information for which to judge him or his discus.
    From what I've read, none of the members here are calling themselves expert (whatever your definition), but the photos are pretty clear. At least 2 demonstrate some distinct defects but are graded as "show quality" or A grd. It's the definition of the grade of fish that members have challenged (even after Marlon clarified his system), not the expertise of Marlon himself.

I for one challenged the grading of 2 of the fish, but I also commended him highly for the others.. No-one has launched a personal attack so I'd suggest keeping things civil

Hi Pfeff, no one here called Marlon's discus bad at all but based on the photos, no matter they were taken in a rush or taken by poor quality camera they are no show quality. In a few years time after buying more discus from different sources, then you will understand what we are based on to form our opinion.

SnakeSkin Discus
    I don't have anything really to add to what has been said, I think the other members have covered it perfectly.

It would be nice to hear some explanations or answers to some of the more then reasonable requests made by people in this thread. I think ignoring them or answering with insults doesn't really help explain the situation.

Wrigglers
    Hi Marlon,

As you know I have very limited knowledge relating to the showing of discus. I have never been to a discus show and the only information I have relating to the grading of discus has been as a consequence of reading about Discus in books and online.

Using that information I make the following comments relating to three of the fish that you have included in this thread. That is not to say that I don't like them, I do. Especially the Albino Red Cover.

Red Dragon

Good shape, apparent indentation at upper eye level on the forehead in this picture. Indentation gives the mouth a “beak” appearance.

Smooth emergence of both dorsal and anal fins, however there is significant variation between the “emergence” points of the two fins when assessed in the vertical line.

Base colour consistent across the body of the fish and clearly defined patterning.

Could not comment on facial markings from this picture. Not willing to comment on mouth shape without a front on shot. Eye position and size good, would like it to be redder, appears closer to orange in this pic, may be due to light.

Super Eruption

Fair shape, seems to lack depth in rear lower quarter (to my eye). Again in this picture there is an indentation level with the upper eye line. Mouth appears “beak-like” as a consequence.

Abrupt/steep emergence of the dorsal fin takes away from the “roundness” of the upper body. Unable to compare “equal” emergence of dorsal and anal fins in this picture.

Base colour and patterning good, clearly defined. Facial patterning looks good but would like a “macro” picture before commenting further. Eye is not “clear” solid red, eye bar evident.

Albino Red Cover

Very good shape, beautifully curved forehead no evidence of indentations or bumps in this picture. Smooth emergence of both dorsal and anal fins and apparently close to the same “vertical” line on the fish. Possible slight defect on both dorsal and anal fins just behind the last of the hard rays, may be a temporary “folding” of the fins. Needs to be seen live.

Body colour very good. No evidence of peppering or patterning.

Eye well positioned. of a good shape, size and colour.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Pfeff, from what I can see you started collecting discus since Sep last year so it is only natural you believe everything LFS said it's the truth. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. I went through this pathway myself at the beginning so no big deal.

FYI and nothing personal:
    - you have a highly peppered red melon and it is not an albino red melon
    - your little snakeskin is not a cross from albino and heckel. Whoever told you that snakeskin is expensive because it is rare, it's not true. Snakeskin is not rare.
    - you have a nice brown discus but brown turquoise??? There are blue, red and green turquoise. I could be wrong but never heard of brown turquoise.

You will learn to distinguish quality discus over time. Everybody is.