Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Just an Egg
    thx for the explanation... just a newbie here, but perhaps we expect more from your fish that you labeled "show, AA grade, etc"... just a different standard on grading...

They are not bad discus but only very average standard. They may look stunning for beginners but they are no where show quality. Perhaps Marlon should be a little more humble before giving them these label. Further, may be Marlon should re take better pictures of them and post them in simply discus for judgement time?

SnakeSkin Discus
    I guess your the pope marlon because I can see at least two good side on photos showing discus with obvious beaks

Quote Originally Posted by ivo
    They are not bad discus but only very average standard. They may look stunning for beginners but they are no where show quality. Perhaps Marlon should be a little more humble before giving them these label. Further, may be Marlon should re take better pictures of them and post them in simply discus for judgement time?
    + 1

Medium Discus
    in my opinion simply discus is the worst forum on the net for discus. Sorry but i have been involved in the international circuit for years and even sponsor the international site, as we supply some of these countries fish from our farm overseas. If i was going to let anyone judge my fish it would be the BIDKA forum with guys like Volke Stendker, Mark Evenden, Chris Ingham who i spent time with over Christmas and New Year and Paul Lukas from Discus south. I have nothing to prove, i know what fish i have, and all are welcome to come take a look. Like i keep saying there are to many people on these forums that have had 4 or 5 discus for a few years who like to judge and think they know it all. I am always open to constructive criticism, but those that give it better make sure they have done the research first and are talking from personal experience. i will always accept when i think someone is correct and voice my opinion strongly when they are not

Wrigglers
    Discus The Naked Truth.

Ever since i read the book i have learned so much in what is quality.
    Shows pictures in what is show grade and what is not desirable.

Seems to me everyplace i go too they say A grade from the local paper to nearly everyplace if not everyplace.
    A grade is used far to commonly. Just me or you guys seeing term A grade used alot also?

One thing i will say, go see Rod Lewis discus from Jeffry Yang and current grand champion Ricky Lim, you do not see him label his discus A grade. Its very refreshing and modest.

I think when you see A grade you expect perfection in everything.I mean PERFECT!! like i said, A grade is used way way way to common.

Some very nice discus boxters.
    Rossco

Medium Discus
    at last someone with a little common sense and knowledge. Those Andrew soh book i agree are a wealth of knowledge for the biginner. I think every person with discus should have at least those 2 books on the shelf. As for A grade, just to be clear, A grade is a good fish with defects. This is a quality fish that your average discus keeper will not notice the defects. If we look at B grade, the defects are obviouse to the average discus person. AA grade is a very good looking fish with fewer defects, and AAA grade well almost perfect. Hope this sheds some clarity

Wrigglers
    It does shed clarity boxters, Thanks.
    Rossco

Common sense tells people when they purchase a classified "A" grade discus then it is a very high standard discus already, but if your "A" grade mean it has several defects and just not noticeable for beginners, well, then it is a different story. To be cleared to your buyers may be you should list your definition on your website, i.e., A to AAAAAAAAAAAA grades so people would know what real grade they have purchased.

They are your discus you can call them whatever grade you want but when you put them out there in the public, you should expect people to judge them especially label them as "show quality". Afterall it is those average discus keepers buy your stock and you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by boxters
    If we look at B grade, the defects are obviouse to the average discus person.
    This is what I'd apply to your "show quality Super Eruption" as per the attached photo. There's a very noticeable indentation in the brow of the fish and the dorsal does not evenly merge from the body shape.. The Red Dragon also has a noticable indentation in the forehead- clearly highlighted against the white stand pipe.

Your Albino Red Cover however is a very beautiful fish.. On the whole you have some lovely stock. :

It seems a shame that you profess to know the level of experience that we "average keepers" may or may not have. In the case of the two photos identifed, it doesn't take a highly experienced 'professional judge' to pick these defects. Please take on board the input we (your potential customers) have to offer. No-one is mounting a personal attack, just pointing out some general concerns..

Wrigglers
    Hi Marlon,

Seems odd to me that you rubbish Simply Discus yet you are a Simply Discus Sponsor, I-trader and contribute to the forums on average at least once per day.

You have also used that site to research and obtain advise regarding health issues you have had with your "Planted Display Tank"

Seems odd to me that when other fanciers identify aspects of the fish you have identified as show grade as being less than show grade providing details as to why. You intimate that they lack experience/knowledge in relation to discus rather than explain why you consider the fish to be show grade.

You talk about having years of experience as if that is an extensive perioed but you state elsewhere that you have been involved in discus for 10 years. I bought my first discus in the early 70's having absolutely no idea what I was doing. I gave up on them. I took on some more eight years ago but they were not really what I wanted.

I have started to get together a collection of fish that I would be happy with including RSG's I have from you which were identified as A grade. I will endeavour to get some decent shots of these fish together over the next few days. Shots that do the fish justice and post them up. Even to a neophyte discus keeper such as myself these fish should obviously not be graded the same. I will accept that young discus will develop at different rates and that some will turn out better than others but these fish all came here at the same time, they all went through the same quarantine, water-change regimes, feeding and medications so variation should be minimal. It is quite clearly not.

Instead of trying to ridicule other fanciers and their experience/observations you would perhaps find it better to "Justify" your claims in relation to a set of criteria as suggested by McLoughlin 2.

Regards,

Bob