Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Larvae

OZONE use in freshwater

Just interested to find out if anyone has used ozone in freshwater and to what success

I've tossed around the idea it would greatly increase the redox and sterilize the water in the sump but I was talked out of it by some other mods here the risks ate quite high you could kill all your fish or even worse yourself and entire family if you had a major malfunction

Wrigglers
    Agreed Illusn,

For saftey reasons, Ozone must only ever be used with a mV Controller (Redox Controller).

The use of Protein Skimmers in Marine Systems were designed to be injected with Ozone to maximise the waste removal collected by the Skimmer. Protein skimmers without Ozone is said to only be operating at 50% efficency.

Manufacturers have trialed Protein skimmers for freshwater use without great success.

Ideally, if you try Ozone in freshwater, in conjuction to using a controller system, inject the ozone in a seperate cylinder and ensure Activated Carbon is used at the post side of the ozone being injected to remove excess residue.

Kind regards,
    George

I know people with a indoor koi pond in Canada killed their fish AND themselves with it.
    Ozone is scary ... its used in swimming pools a bit but even then every year people go to hospital because of malfunctions.
    "If it isn't a wild its way too mild ! "

Larvae
    George, when you say seperate cylinder would the sump do?

Quote Originally Posted by SLS
    Agreed Illusn,

For saftey reasons, Ozone must only ever be used with a mV Controller (Redox Controller).

The use of Protein Skimmers in Marine Systems were designed to be injected with Ozone to maximise the waste removal collected by the Skimmer. Protein skimmers without Ozone is said to only be operating at 50% efficency.

Manufacturers have trialed Protein skimmers for freshwater use without great success.

Ideally, if you try Ozone in freshwater, in conjuction to using a controller system, inject the ozone in a seperate cylinder and ensure Activated Carbon is used at the post side of the ozone being injected to remove excess residue.

Kind regards,
    George

Wrigglers
    Try think of the way a Protein Skimmer is connected to an Aquarium - as a seperate unit.

The sump is probably the most practical area to inject the ozone. I would prefer to use a seperate reactor - a device/cylinder by pass where the water can be drawn out of the sump/aquarium, and returned through carbon.

Just make sure you use a Redox controller. If you smell residue of Ozone in the air/room (you'll know when you smell it - smells funny, kinda metalic) the Ozone is too strong and must be reduced.

I haven't asked, why do you want to use Ozone for freshwater, Sterilisation, Increased oxidisation/Increased Redox?

Larvae
    Reason for using mainly is just to keep the pesky gill flukes away - thats if it will kill the damm parasite and then of course for all the other reasons
    ozone is good for. I have used it on a marine tank when i was a youngster and can remember the smell as i used an airstone, it also made the airlines brittle after short periods. I guess i can incorporate something as i run 2 mag drive pumps and could join it up to a reservoir abn then return to tank

Quote Originally Posted by SLS
    Try think of the way a Protein Skimmer is connected to an Aquarium - as a seperate unit.

The sump is probably the most practical area to inject the ozone. I would prefer to use a seperate reactor - a device/cylinder by pass where the water can be drawn out of the sump/aquarium, and returned through carbon.

Just make sure you use a Redox controller. If you smell residue of Ozone in the air/room (you'll know when you smell it - smells funny, kinda metalic) the Ozone is too strong and must be reduced.

I haven't asked, why do you want to use Ozone for freshwater, Sterilisation, Increased oxidisation/Increased Redox?

Wrigglers
    Ok, Gill Flukes hey....

My advice is to look more into UV systems. I can forward you a chart with specific kill rates required for organisms, etc. Sizing UV's is vital to targeting exactly what you want to kill, be Bacteria, Fungal, Viral, Parasites, Protozoan, etc.

Whats you tank size, filtration, return pump, etc.

Larvae
    [

Tank is 9x3x2 and pumps are 3500ltph each sump is 39inchesx12x18 with over 1000 bio balls Currently just running the sump as per photo and then an built in under gravel filter with the 2 mag drive pumps driving it

The chart would be handy as i want to kill everything thanks

quote="SLS"]Ok, Gill Flukes hey....

My advice is to look more into UV systems. I can forward you a chart with specific kill rates required for organisms, etc. Sizing UV's is vital to targeting exactly what you want to kill, be Bacteria, Fungal, Viral, Parasites, Protozoan, etc.

Whats you tank size, filtration, return pump, etc.[/quote]

Wrigglers
    Approx 2,000Ltrs - Nice, what are you keeping??

Ok, Kill Everything?? LOL - that could be an expensive exercise...

PM Sent.

Kind regards,
    George