Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LH gill "stuck"

Free Swimmer

LH gill "stuck"

One of my original discus never seems to have grown. He doesn't hide, eats well including fom my hand, doesn't hide and isn't bullied-he will happily chase fish twice his size. Yet some time ago he lost his colour and is now in poor condition. .

Having recently lost a fish I have been watching him closely and he seems fine except for colour and weight loss. This evening while feeding him I noticed his left gill hardly moves in comparison to his right. Almost as if it's stuck.

Any ideas? I'm guessing QT and perhaps PP and or salt bath.
    All other fish look fine although the pearl pigeon has been hiding only coming out for food.

EDIT: water parms are ph 6.5, temp 29c, gh 3 Kh 1, ammonia 0, NitRITE 0, nitRATE <10ppm, 20% WC once or twice weekly if can get time, 534 litre planted tank with 8 discus, 20 Cardinals, 7 Rasboras, 3 Rummy Nose, 3 BN, 4 SAE.

Cheers,
    Scott

I would treat with pp first if you have done it before.
    Cheers Kath

Free Swimmer
    Thanks for coming to my rescue again Kath. Did the treatment yesterday and his left gill was still stuck (i take it is what they mean by clamped). Still dark but on the positive side still feeding well.

How long before I should notice an improvement?

Cheers,
    Scott

I would have expected him to use it by now. Try upping the wc and see if he comes good on his own you would have knocked the parasites he should be able to recover even if there are still some left.

Let me know, good he is eating.
    Cheers Kath

Tiny Fry
    maybe Tri sulpha double dose would be good .

Tiny Fry
    Its not as harsh as pp. You could chuck that in with the waterchanges .ie double dose 24 hours later water change

Free Swimmer
    Well it's a case of good news bad news.

Good news is he has started using both gills. Bad news is he has stopped eating. Last night he refused beefheart and tetra bits. Refused again this morning. Also tried frozen bloodworm with no response.

Don't like the way this is heading. He is still dark, browny/grey with black stress bars. But he's not hiding and is swimming normally so perhaps there is hope.

Cheers,
    Scott

Just an Egg
    Sorry to hear about your fish at least it is not hiding and its using both gills thats a good sign! Does it have normal feces or is it white?

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by karisdiscus
    Sorry to hear about your fish at least it is not hiding and its using both gills thats a good sign! Does it have normal feces or is it white?
    ummmm.... doesn't seem to have passed any so I have added some epsom salts to hios tank water to try and move things along.

Scott
    What are the water params of the tank he is in now?
    Cheers Kath