Free Swimmer

QT/Grow out tank specs

Now that I have the discus its become obvious that I'm going to need a QT tank fairly regularly. So far I have been using a 23lt "All in one" tank that the kids grew tired of - at least water changes are a snap!

Even though its easy to store underneath the 4 gdooter and water changes are a snap, I've been concerned it simply isn't big enough for discus.

I would appreciate some advice on what might be a good setup that can go from dry to opeartional in a snap. My current thought is:
    2 foot tank - 600 x 300 x 300 or approx 50 litres
    50 watt jager heater
    internal power filter or HOB filter (mechanical filtration relying on WC to address NH3/NO2/NO3.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Scott

I have bigger qt than that about a 2ft square that way to treat even 3 is ok.
    Filtration is easy - always have a sponge filter in your regular tank at the back out of sight when needed pull that out and you are all seeded ready to go. Even if you kill the bacteria off with meds as you say large wc help and prime. They also (sponge filter) provide great aeration, in whatever tank they are in. I always have 2 in my main tank.
    As an aside they are also useful in a blackout with a cheap $25.00 battery pump, your fish tank stays filtered and aerated.
    Cheers Kath

Tiny Fry
    Way to small. 2x 18x18 minumum. My 70 litre tank is to small.

Free Swimmer
    Thanks Kath.

Quote Originally Posted by goodoo
    Way to small. 2x 18x18 minumum. My 70 litre tank is to small.
    Why is that too small? I thought 50 lt was the goal for an adult fish or is it so a number of fish can be QTd? Just trying to learn.

Cheers,
    Scott