Thread: Discus are ill!

Discus are ill!

Ok so i noticed my Discus twitching last night but no obvious sign of anything.

Tonight the pigeons have some white bumps on them and their fins seem to be rotting. My snakeskin has white spots on his fins, the 2 turqs seem fine though. They all eat.

Tank is 4x2x2 with a CF1200 canister. Tank cycled for 6weeks before they went in. The pigeons were kept in a tank for 2weeks and the turqs and snakeskin kept in a seperate tank for 4weeks prior to going in together.

There is a pair of rummynose and a bristlenose in there as well. Which lived in my gf's tank before coming over to me.

Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 5ppm
    Temp 30
    PH 6.6

Help please.

have you had a ph crash or spike? the fins look burnt usually caused by suden changes water chemistry

No its been in the 6.6-6.8 mark the whole time they've been in there.

Blue Diamond Discus
    Keep up with lots of water changes and keep an eye on them to make sure things don't get worse

Just an Egg
    Do you have any other fish in with them? If so do they have any white bumps on them? The fins do look burt to me if it was fin / tail rot it would have red on the fins. I heard of a parasite called trichodiniasis i'm not saying it is for sure so use ur judgement i am not an expert by any means. It is similar to ick but with warmer temps this parasite multiplies faster. It also frays the fins and makes them flash here is the info:
    Trichodina sp. (Trichodiniasis)

This disease is caused by a group of peritrichal ciliated protozoans. The organisms are saucer shaped, 50 microns diameter, with rows of cilia at both ends and a macro and micronucleus. When viewed dorsoventrally, the parasite appears as an ornate disk with a characteristic ring of interlocking denticles forming a circle in the middle of the organism. (Trichodina truttae is considered to be a specific pathogen for salmonids).

These are observed on most fresh and saltwater fish. This protozoon is relatively common on many fish and is not always associated with disease.

Clinically fish usually exhibit flashing and become lethargic. There is an increase in mucus production causing a white to bluish haze on the skin. The skin may develop ulcers and the fins may fray. If the gills are involved, the fish may have severe respiratory distress. Histologically, masses of organisms are attached by adhesive discs and denticles of exoskeleton to the epidermis. The underlying epithelial cells undergo necrosis. There is secondary hyperplasia and hypertrophy of the gill epithelium.

Transmission is by direct contact with infected fish and or contaminated water.

Plenty of water changes I would do 30% daily you should see improvement quite quickly. If not get back on here.
    Cheers Kath

I'm away for 3days just after boxing day but when I get back I have a week where I will be home so will kick into doing bigger daily water changes.

Normally I do 20% twice a week.

Blue Diamond Discus
    I'd start today. You don't want them getting an infection and then your tank will be lovely and clean before you go away

Happy to report that all is well with my Pigeons and Red Turqs.

The snakeskin (zeus) is in a qt tank with salted water and doing well. He has shed most of his slime coating and forming a new one quite well. All white dots are gone as well.

Another week and he'll go back in along with 20 lemon tetras I have QT'd in a 3rd tank.