Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Just an Egg

What medication do I use?

I need some helpful advice regarding what course of action I should take next with a couple of sick fish.

I have two Discus in a display tank that have gone dark and haven't eaten for about a week. One of them I have observed passing a stringy white poo.

All the other fish in the tank appear fine, are eating and one pair has even spawned 3 times in the past 3-4 weeks.

I treated the fish with Kusuri Wormer 7 days ago.

The 2 sick fish appear the same before and after treating with Kusuri.

It musn't be gill flukes or worms.

Not sure what to do next?

I've read on here about Big L and Metro etc. I don't just want to throw more chemicals in the tank.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: What medication do I use?

I need some helpful advice regarding what course of action I should take next with a couple of sick fish.

I have two Discus in a display tank that have gone dark and haven't eaten for about a week. One of them I have observed passing a stringy white poo. All the other fish in the tank appear fine, are eating and one pair has even spawned 3 times in the past 3-4 weeks. I treated the fish with Kusuri Wormer 7 days ago.
    The 2 sick fish appear the same before and after treating with Kusuri.
    It musn't be gill flukes or worms.
    Not sure what to do next?
    I've read on here about Big L and Metro etc. I don't just want to throw more chemicals in the tank.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Kusuri is a wormer so no need to use Big L.

I have two Discus in a display tank that have gone dark and haven't eaten for about a week. One of them I have observed passing a stringy white poo.

QT these 2 and treat with metro you need to get them eating again and pooping again.

research here on dosages if you are unsure.
    Cheers Kath

Just an Egg
    Thanks for the info.

I have a slight problem as I don't have a QT tank at the moment. I suppose it's not a good idea to treat the whole tank?

Where do you get metro from?

Need to see a vet. What else do you have in the tank?

Or use a large food safe container with air and heater as you will be changing 50% water daily anyway.
    Cheers Kath

Just an Egg
    I've got some Tetras and peppermint bn's.

I think I might be able to get a 2 foot off my brother tomorrow. I'll just need to get a filter and heater.

I'll go through all the threads on here about Metro and come back to you if unsure.

Thanks alot for the advice.

Just an Egg
    I have read some of the threads on here. Merrilyn has a 30% water change every 48 hours. You say 50% every day.

Do you mind posting your method on here or sending me a PM. Can you please include if any feeding during treatment.

Thanks again.

Good, better to isolate and it also helps you as you as you can use less meds.

Most BN's are very sensitive so another good reason to QT and treat.

Metro dosage:

I dose at 10mg/litre once a day and I do not raise the temp at all, then before the next dose I change 30-50% of the water and redose and I do this for 10 days straight. You can try and feed them just a little I usually try before the water change so if they don't eat or poop the wc takes care of that before the new dose goes in.
    Good aeration throughout the treatment and they should pull through fine.

HTH

Kath
    Cheers Kath

Wrigglers
    What you are treating sounds like hex. We all have different ways of treating it but they all work along the same line. I raise temp to around 33-34 and feed blackworms soaked in metro and it clears it up easy. If the fish dont eat then you either need to force feed them or treat the water column. I find it easier to force feed them as it is quicker and uses alot less meds.

Just an Egg
    Thanks guys.

So in order to get the vet to give me this medication, do I need to tell them my fish have Hex?

HITH will do and perhaps print this out to see where you have got the advice from. Unless they are a fish vet they will have to double check but should sell it to you.

Treating food is excellent but you mentioned they were not eating so that makes treating the water column the way to go.
    Cheers Kath