Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geo tank setup

Geo tank setup

G'day all, I'm after inspiration for setting up a geo tank, I'm looking to make it biotype correct.

I have 9 Altifrons Tocantins Aust var. 1 that I'll be housing (Matzilla's fish have grown up ).
    I have heaps of pool filter sand for substrate, and some nice branching driftwood.
    Filtration: aquaclear 110 with biomedia only(4L), a large sponge filter, possibly a fluid bed filter full of purigen run of an eheim compact 300 pump.

Tank size will be 4x2 (have stand) the height is negotiable (was thinking 16-20 inch tall).

I'd appreciate your comments on
    tank height
    suitable biotype correct species (tetras and plecos)
    plants (if any)

thanks all.

been tearing my hair out all night info on the web seems sparse, can any geo nut please tell me what part of the rio tocantins drainage altifrons come from?

so far the shortlist is rosy tetras, lemon tetras, glowlite tetras.

still no idea on a clean up fish (thinking a cory or small pleco sp)

on the plus side a beutiful 4x20x20 tank has been donated to the project

Middle to lower ..... widely dispersed. Concentrates particularity on bends and lagoons created by permanent backwaters. A gentle flow rather then stronger flow.
    "If it isn't a wild its way too mild ! "

legand mate!!!!!

starting to come together.

still need to cleanup and re do the top sump, add the fbf purigen reactor, add sand to the fbf, reglue the corner strip, clue in the latex background, cut some lids (will have to use eggcreate for the filterside I think) and clean but everything seems like it will fit.

bit of luck it will be cycling by new year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails php7cyimgpm.jpg   phpx0l61ypm.jpg  

sitting at work at 3:30 and relised all the bosses had gone home, so I thought I'd do the same. got back and made some headway on the tank, latex background is cut and fitted, top filter is clean and ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clean_up.jpg   background_1.jpg   broken_knife_damn.jpg  

next up was the glue the bloke at the LFS said "dont be tight" so I wasn't 3 tubes of silicone later i think i did a decent job

also said i should have afew phonebooks on hand to weigh it down so it dries flat, unfortunately I dont own a land line or phone books, however I think i improvised pretty well.

I also took the extra time as an oppertunity to get started on the topfilter/denitrator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glue.jpg   blocks.jpg   topsump.jpg  

after a good clean and a treatment with bleach and HCl it came up like new, now i just have to wait for the glue to dry (2 days) before i can do anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top_sump2.jpg   top_sump_clean.jpg  

looking really good mate

can't wait to see the finished product

cheers
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Thanks Matt, the rain has thrown a monkey wrench in the timing but I've moved the tank into the fishroom to finish the black silicone and start the setup. As the fish room has 100% humidity day and night it's going to take a week to dry so i wont have water in it till next weekend at the earliest.