Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: worms

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo
    Hey Steve, I just took some Panadol just in case i was going to get a headache later today.
    ha ha, yes, I feel one coming on next tuesday, better take one now lol
    Why me ?

Hey biggdaddy and hollowman everyone is entitled to an opinion right or wrong .The best thing about these forums that people can help correct the wrongs of others ,but no need to take the piss out of others while doing so.

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    I wasn't taking the piss out of anyone. I was taking the piss out of the idea of the preemptive strike.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

We like to have a joke also you know.

BUT, mis-imformation should be corrected for the sake of everyone here and noobs reading this and thinking they should nuke their fish with meds.
    And that is not a joke!!
    Why me ?

Geeez Steve. You really opened up a can of worms mate.

Okay folks, let's all take a moment to relax

When someone offers advice, they are usually calling on their past experience. If someone is an importer and retailer, with new fish coming into his fishroom all the time, then it makes sense that he would need to worm his fish frequently.

On the other hand, I have wild caught discus. I believe all fish in the wild have some kind of parasite burden, and even the best treatments will not eradicate worms 100% therefore I regularly worm my fish each 6 months.

However if you had a static population of fish in your tank for say, 2 or 3 years, and you didn't add any more fish during that time, not even a neon tetra, and there were no signs of worms, then there's no need to do anything.

Three very different situations, three different worming routines, but each is right, or at the very least not wrong.

In Leanne's case, her fish are showing signs of worms, so it's appropriate she treat them now, and also do a follow up treatment to catch any newly hatched worms. How long before she needs to re-worm them depends on her situation, if she adds any new fish or is she wants to start breeding her pairs. In either case, I would repeat the treatment.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    in your opinion its misinformation, in my opinion its based on research done over the last 10 years working with fish vets and marine biologists who have substantial documentation on this subject. It has been proven that some intestinal parasites that affect our fish are airborne and end up in our tanks. Now in an open system like a river i would agree that the chance of infestation would be neglageable , but in a closed box sorry these fish need regular worming. I am happy for you to disagree, but untill you come to me with documented evidence based on scientific research im going to stick with my opinion, and i think it should be upto the individuals on the forum which point of view they feel suites them. I will loose no sleep over wether people worm their fish or not

Quote Originally Posted by boxters
    Discus should be wormed once every 8 weeks. i have a great product on my website for this.
    Sorry to have upset anyone, but your statement can be read as a fact, which it isnt, and not a rule.

My concern is for the noob, who nukes his/her fish so often that the fish get damaged by the med, and the med becomes ineffective. Am I wrong?? That is my from my experience of being around many fish keepers over the years, and my personal experience of keeping my own fish.
    I am not selling anything, only giving information. How many times do we hear of people chucking in med after med just because they have it in their cabinet. How many times do we hear from noobs who have listened to their LFS who sell them any med to throw at their fish and end up in more trouble than before.
    We need to be very careful that what we say does not lead people to get in more trouble or cost them more money than they need to spend. What Merrilyn said is quite right, there are different situations, but lets not get too carried away, how many of us import on a grand scale? People who have wilds will generally not mix them with domestics. If you are a 'normal' hobby keeper, as Merrilyn and I said, once every six months is fine, unless of course you see reason to treat. Overkilling on meds is never good, that is what I am saying.
    Why me ?

Medium Discus
    The problem is not what you said, but the tone in which it was said. Enough said

FS: Chill Pills

They come in a handy blister pack and are suitable for many situations..... Like this one for example.....