Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: worms

Blue Diamond Discus

worms

I put some big l in the tank after a water change yesterday as I noticed one of the discus doing a white poo. ewwwwww now there is another one with worms hanging out. Makes me really know that regular worming is a good thing. (The not so nice side of discus keeping.) The worms look like 3 pieces of 1.5cm course hairs hanging out. Is the big L enough of a treatment for these?? I have never had them before well I mean my fish haven't had them before.

Medium Discus
    white poo is something more problamatic than worms. i hate to say its a sure sign of hex, of which metronidazole in the food is the best cure if the fish is still eating. Discus should be wormed once every 8 weeks. i have a great product on my website for this. www.marlonsdiscus.com.au

If you need any further help please feel free to contact me

Blue Diamond Discus
    I can see the worm eggs in the poop well poop casing...little round white balls

Medium Discus
    well white poop is caused by hexamita. left untreated your fish will eventualy stop eating and die

Levamisole will also cause the poop to turn white, so wait and finish the treatment first (second dose due after 7 days).

Two weeks after that, I'd treat them for tape worms using something good like the stuff Marlon Discus sell.

If you've got segments, and eggs, as well as worms hanging out, then I think your fish are infested with both threadworm and tapeworm. You're on the right track with Levaisole for the threadworm but you will also need something to move the tapeworm.

You'll find their appetite will greatly improve after worming.

Once you've finished both treatments, if your fish is still pooping white or clear droppings, then we need to look at the situation again. As boxters suggested, it could be hex, but if it's just started, it could well be caused by the worm treatment.

Keep us posted.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Quote Originally Posted by boxters
    . Discus should be wormed once every 8 weeks.
    Bad advice imo, and something not to be taken as gospel by noobs.

You should only worm your fish when you see signs of problems, do it as often as that and you end up getting worms with an immunity to the med. Once every six months is more than enough, unles you are feeding unsafe foods like Tubifex (which you should never do)

H
    Why me ?

Medium Discus
    We are all in titled to our opinions

Of course, but noobs will end up nuking their fish because of that advice. We know that the worming process quite often makes the fish starve themselves for a time, so worming so often will not be good for the fish. So, ime and that of many respected keepers, worming for prophylactic purposes should not be done. Like I said, it leads to worms with immunity to the med. Fact
    Why me ?

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    Hey Steve, I just took some Panadol just in case i was going to get a headache later today.

I completely agree. I was chatting with a guy recently that had been worming his fish every six weeks just because he was told it was the right thing to do. When his fish do need to be wormed he will have a much harder time curing them now.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

Blue Diamond Discus
    so why the worms???? I know thay they are carried by fish and when they get stressed the worms take over. I am a good fish mum the tank is cleaned and water changed twice a week sometmes 3 with aged treated and heated water. No new additions. The only live food I feed is brine shrimp and that's not very often.

I will order some of Marlons worming stuff
    thanks guys