Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertonex

Just an Egg

Vertonex

Has anyone ever used Vertonex to treat parasites on Discus. The guy from the pet shop recommended it but I'm not so sure. It says on the bottle for marine aquarium fish. Not sure if I should just chuck it out?

Any advice is appreciated.

Never heard of it, but if the bottle says it's for Marine fish, it aint for discus. Probably another case of mis-information!!
    Why me ?

Medium Discus

Re: Vertonex

Quote Originally Posted by vitara1
    Has anyone ever used Vertonex to treat parasites on Discus. The guy from the pet shop recommended it but I'm not so sure. It says on the bottle for marine aquarium fish. Not sure if I should just chuck it out?

Any advice is appreciated.
    What are the ingredients?

Just an Egg
    Each mL of solution contains : 10mg of quinine hydrochloride and 1.27mg of malachite green.

I'd wait for Noddy65 to come back to us with his opinion. He's a vet, and will be the right person to advise us.

Do you think hour fish have parasites? If so, what are the symptoms.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    One fish had two faint spots/marks on its tail. It had been like that for about two weeks. I thought nothing of it until yesterday when one of those faint spots turned whitish. So I am thinking some sort of Fungus.

One of my Tetras also has a cloudy eye.

I have been doing a 50% water change weekly and water conditions appear good.

Until I find out if this vertonex is safe to use I was thinking of dosing with Pimafix/Melafix. Not sure if I should use one or both?

Primafix/Melafix is useless for discus. Something to do with the unique slime coat of the discus. Anyway, doesn't seem to do any good with our discus.

If you want to do something for your fish, the safest thing would be adding salt to your tank. Start with one level tablespoon per 40 litres of water, and then after 24 hours you can add another tablespoon per 40 litres.

A parasite cure would not be appropriate to treat cloudy eye or fungus, but salt will help both conditions.

Just an Egg
    Do I use Aquarium salt? Also I don't have a sick tank, I'm guessing I will have to remove the plants If I treat the whole tank. Do bristlenoses and tetras do ok with salt?

Just plain old cooking salt from the supermarket is the stuff you want. Don't use table salt, it has fillers in it to make it run freely.

At that concentration, your plants and tetras will be fine. I'd move the bristlenose into another tank during treatment if possible.

Medium Discus
    A cloudy eye is usually a sign of bacterial infection.antibiotics are the most affective, but you need to know what you are treating first.