Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vertonex

Clean water is always the first treatment for a cloudy eye
    Why me ?

Blue Diamond Discus
    Some of my discus get transparent white marks on their tail and fins sometimes it goes whiter than other times but it's not fungus.

San Merah Discus
    I believe the Quinine component of Vertenex is a substitute for Formalin or Formaldehyde in the treatment of marine whitespot(C. irritans). Formalin and Malachite treatments are more affective but I think the carcinogenic properties of Formalin would make it a pretty regulated drug.

Considering we aren't talking about a marine fish or anything that sounds like a parasite I think you may have misdiagnosed and Mez's directions are probably on the money. I would be tempted to salt bath instead of a whole tank treatment unless of course more than one fish is showing the same symptoms

Just an Egg
    Thanks for all your input guys.

My original question was whether Vertonex is safe to use on Discus ever. Maybe in this instance it is not appropriate.

The nick on the tail turned into a white spot that was a bit lumpy, like a small growth. I also have a white swan that has slight redness on it dorsal fin and tips of its fins a slightly torn/tattered.

I guess I'm going to have to find funds and set up a hospital tank

Medium Discus
    Sorry for the slow reply
    Quinine is used to treat Cryptocaryon irritans, a white spot infection of marine fish....its a different genus to the white spot we see in fresh water fish so MAY not work at all (but then again it MIGHT work).

Its a very old drug (it fell out of favour in the 1940's) so I am a bit surprised its still being used. It seems its mostly used these days to add a bitter flavour to some drinks and to cut some street drugs.

While it may not be harmful to freshwter fish, it may also just not treat anything either.

Like most things...get a diagnosis first if possible... then treat

Mike