Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Correct Water Parameters

HI All

I have often searched through these pages for a stickie on correct water parameters that we should aim for a few different setups, such as the below:

And how frequently, you test for these.

Can anyone with far more knowledge than me, fill this and make it a stickie for the beginners, As I know I would have appreciated it, in the beginning.

If its already on here I apologise, but I couldnt find it. I know people will have different opinions but it would be great for newbies.

EG: Planted Tank/Discus Only
    -Temperature
    -Ph
    -Ammonia
    -Nitrite
    -Nitrate
    -GH
    -KH

EG: Planted Tank/Community Tank
    -Temperature
    -Ph
    -Ammonia
    -Nitrite
    -Nitrate
    -GH
    -KH

EG: Bare Bottom Tank/Discus Tank
    -Temperature
    -Ph
    -Ammonia
    -Nitrite
    -Nitrate
    -GH
    -KH

EG: Bare Bottom Tank/Community Tank
    -Temperature
    -Ph
    -Ammonia
    -Nitrite
    -Nitrate
    -GH
    -KH

Free Swimmer
    I'll second that!

I think it also depends on your intent - general dsiplay, breeding etc.

I am running a 6x1.5x2 tank as a planted Discus/Community tank currently with discus, rummy nose tetras, harlequin rasboras, SAE's, and peppermint Bristlenose. Thinking of adding some Kuhli loaches to the clean up crew and maybe soe Chameleon Shrimp down the track as apparently they'll breed fast enough to cover "lunch losses".

My current parameters are:
    -Temperature: 30C
    -Ph: 6.5
    -Ammonia: 0
    -Nitrite : 0
    -Nitrate: <20ppm
    -GH: 6 (approx. 100ppm)
    -KH: 3 (approx. 50ppm)

I do a weekly 20% waterchange and add Sechem Replenish, Carbonate Hardness Generator & some trace ferts to the water & test BEFORE adding it to the tank.

I am also running DIY CO2, 1 x 1200lph canister and 1 x 1600lph wet/dry filter.

NOTE: This is not a recommendation, but rather what I as a newbie settled on after reading heaps on the internet, corresponding with a few, and trying to find balance with the other pursuits in my life.

Have been running the tank since June and so far have had one Discus casualty through inexperience and one through stupidity.

EDIT - Forgot to mention I started off testing daily, then once things stabilised every couple of days. Now I test twice a week (Tuesday & Friday with water change either Sat or Sunday, depending on Nitrate level).

Cheers,
    Scott

Tiny Fry
    It doesnt matter what type of tank you have, Im talking discus. But all parrameters should be the same planted not planted bare not bare. Nitrate should be 10 and 20 max. When mine creeps up to 20 I up the changes . nitrite 0 . Ammonia 0 temp between 28 /30 . And soft water. My water here is soft And they like it. Ph not that important as long as it isnt to alkaline. Im still learning and allways will be so Im no expert, so well thats my 2 cents.

Free Swimmer
    Well planted discus tanks is a little different, to say a bare bottom tank ! , simply because you have no plants , Discus will adjust easier than a plant will,in a true planted aquarium . But in saying this , it also depends on the type of plants that you intend to keep

Thats my 3 cents

Tiny Fry
    I would agree with you there tommo . Im no expert, and hopeless with plants.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Has anyone ever used the test strips, similar to these, to test their water, for example ... http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Labs-Qu...ref=pd_sbs_k_8 ...

It seems like an easy way to keep on top of water quality. What do you all think,
    Tim

No NO NO No NO.

From early experiences, you will get cross contamination of the readings, therefore losing accuracy. Leave alone, and use individual liquid test kits. Ok, more expensive, but more reliable and accurate.

hth
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Another question ... on thermometers. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be an accurate thermometer. I was looking at some of the digital ones and the comments were saying they may not be accurate. Therefore, is it best to go just with the traditional floating type with a suction cup?

or
    Tim

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    No NO NO No NO.

From early experiences, you will get cross contamination of the readings, therefore losing accuracy. Leave alone, and use individual liquid test kits. Ok, more expensive, but more reliable and accurate.

hth
    Got it ... THANKS !!!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by olliesshop
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    No NO NO No NO.

hth
    Got it ... THANKS !!!
    good lol

I currently use the adhesive ones that change colour on the outside of the tank. I have a small 5 tank system and have one on the same location on each tank. They all read the same, so I think they are ok. I have used digital, and some have been different readings on the same tank, so traditional glass ones are better imo. But cheap are not necessarily the best, I have got medical grade ones.
    hth
    Why me ?