Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nah Bruce, I wouldn't use it in a tank at all. Although it has finely crushed coral in it, which would help buffer your pH, it packs down so tight, you would end up with anaerobic pockets which could prove a disaster. Just get some fine gravel and add some coral fragments from your LFS to buffer your water.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    I went to 3 clark rubber shops before I found one that sold the stuff. Do not just rely on the one... Just went to their store locator. You only have one, Fishwick. Bummer.

As per everyone else then....
    Aaron

Hi, I'm New Here!

Playground sand from Bunnings is the way to go

G'day everyone,

I had a look at plain white quartz / silica sand and deemed it too artificial in look; finally we went with 300 kilos of kiddies sand from Bunnings, sold in bags at 9 bucks per bag. Cheap, light beige in colour, uniform grain size, just a pain in the a... to wash . However, it's worth the effort, as the tank afterwards looks very natural. I fertilise with Sears-Cronin modified, trace elements and co2 gas. Rainwater, weekly water changes, heaps of T5 5400 K fluoros from Bunnings as well, and the plants take off in a rocket-like fashion. I now have to "weed out the 950 litre tank every 2 weeks, don't even know where to go with all the cuttings and currently feed them to the chooks. Anyone in Adelaide interested who has fry in exchange ?

Cheers, Florian