Thread: Geo Interest

Medium Discus

Geo Interest

Hi All

What is the general consensis on keeping Geo's - do you generally keep one geo species in a tank or different geo species in one tank?

I am going to make a move into Geo world and set my tank back up as a geo tank.

Just starting to look into it so am firstly trying to agree on what species I want - whilst personally liking the all one species look, cannot decide.
    Aaron

1 species per tank as they can cross breed

Medium Discus
    Hey Jothy,

I take it that = BAD.

Does this include like species such as Geo sp Rio Branco (Guyana) and Columbia/Venezuela (Abalios) or is it crossing Geophagus sensu stricto types with Gymnogeophagus eartheaters?

Sorry if I am sounding dense. New to these guys.

Setting up that tank of mine in about 4 months - I can't wait.
    Aaron

Larvae

i have never heard of Geo's crossing naturally with Gymno's, nor have i heard of distinctly different Geo's crossing. On top of that i strongly i doubt you would have fertile spawn even if they did.
    Just to be safe i would not put Geo sp Rio Branco (Guyana) and Columbia/Venezuela (Abalios) together

I keep orange heads , Rio Brancos , and at times a whole host of them together , have never seen any cross breeding . If I was to be selling fry then species only would be the safe option.
    I have kept geos with Discus , chocolate cichlids , fire mouths , bristlenose , whip tails , no problems at all . It all comes down to tank size and basicaly less aggressive types , all the best

Pat.

Wrigglers
    i keep f1 orangehead tapajos (actually from keiths old pair, not like some who pretend to have them ) got a group of 7 and 3 breeding pairs, female currently holding , also have a m/f pair of Geophagus araguaia orangehead, Breeding colony of Geophagus c/v, Possible Breeding pair of some Altifrons manaus, a colony of subadult geophagus rio brancos and will be getting some pindares soon.

I currently breed my tapajos in a species only tank incase they cross breed with the araguaia.

Medium Discus
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Aaron