Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny discus.

Just an Egg

Skinny discus.

Well, I had an accident of purchasing a sick discus. I didn't realize it until I had taken it from quarentine and put it in the tank. Well, it introduced worms into my tank!

Anyway, I medicated it and my most favorite discus are now better. However, a couple of the small ones are still acting weird. They still don't eat that much. They seem to have problems when trying to grasp food (worms or flakes) when eating at the top of the water, middle, or bottom. They have issues! I need help, I've already lost three discus to whatever this is. The medications won't work!
    Discus!

More info required
    Size of tank and all occupants
    PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels
    Medication already used and how you used it
    Is the tank planted, bare bottom or other?
    What else was introduced?
    Why did you think they had worms?
    A picture would help.

All you have given us at the moment
    the small ones are still acting weird. They still don't eat that much. They seem to have problems when trying to grasp food (worms or flakes) when eating at the top of the water, middle, or bottom. They have issues! I need help, I've already lost three discus to whatever this is. The medications won't work!
    Its just not enough to go on.
    Cheers Kath

Also what is your quarentine method, obviously it never worked
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Have you put the sick fish into their own tank? If some of them appear healthy and it's only a select few that are acting weird then I'd be separating them ASAP.

Have you also been keeping up water changes to clear out the left over medications? Otherwise your poor little guys will be swimming in a bit of a stew of medicine

Medium Discus
    Have you seen these fish poo? What colour is the poo?

Just an Egg
    How is your fish going mpayjr? With the weekend upon you it's a perfect time to observe and take action

Larvae
    Been busy with rl.. Thanks for your replies.

I can say that the my main tank is back to normal. Fish are fine.

I tried adding the skinny boy back to the main tank about 2days ago. Everything looked fine. He had put on weight and was eating like the others.

Woke up this morning and he was on the bottom. I think he might have got hammered by the other discus, I can not say. You think your doing the right thing adding him back to the tank with he's friends... Anyway I suppose the negative ppl here where right. I should have flashed him long ago!

Opps wrong thread..lol
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

Blue Diamond Discus
    You know that comment was really uncalled for (all the negative people). Yes I did say to put him out of his misery but my mistake was that I really didn't read your post properly to see that he had been eating. The thing was that I was sooo shocked that it had been allowed to get into this conditon in the first place that I didn't really read on, my mistake. I am far from a negative person and would never hurt any animal be it fish or anything. We all make mistakes and we all learn from them, god knows I have lost my fair share of fish while learning how to keep them properly. Now fortunatly by listening to the people here it's been a long time since I have lost a fish. It is sad for you and your little guy but there is no need to be rude in your posts. Admin I am sorry if this gets me a kick in the pants but this really needed to be said. Some people

Blue Diamond Discus
    p.s flushing fish is cruel and against the law.

Larvae
    I don't understand why you are getting so upset. You where negative due to your ignorance.

For the helping comments from ppl thanks for all your help. I hope that through this unfortunate experience I have grown so this does not happen again
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One