Hi, I'm New Here!

Tank advice please...

Im going to be setting up a 4ft (55g) Sth American tank, one fish im very keen on putting in there are some checkerboard cichlids (Dicrossus filamentosus).

I know these guys like low pH, clean water and i believe they are fairly timid... are there any Apistos that would also get on well with them in these conditions and tank size? Just to add something extra and some different colour to the tank.

I plan to have plenty of wood, branches and indian almond leaves in there. A bit of anubias and moss. Will probably have pencilfish dithers of some kind, and maybe a couple of whiptail catfish.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers,

Shaun

San Merah Discus
    Sounds like a good plan so far.
    They are a great fish but need their room if they decide to spawn. Likewise with your apistos should they do the same.
    Could have an all in brawl if they all decide to do it at once!
    Reasonably low ph and soft soft water with a good variety of food should see them do well if you can source good quality stock. Let us know how you get on

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Robdog... im thinking i might actually go with blue rams as a tankmates rather than Apistos... if i can find some good quality ones for sale!

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho
    Thanks Robdog... im thinking i might actually go with blue rams as a tankmates rather than Apistos... if i can find some good quality ones for sale!
    Benedict Arnold

Just an Egg
    Blue rams, D. filamentosus, green tetras and rummynose tetras and you have yourself a nice little biotope set up going.
    Dwarf cichlids. Large personalities in small packages.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Yeah im aiming at something of a compromised Orinoco biotope... have gone with the tightarse Neon Tetra option!

At the moment i just can't justify spending 5 - 8 times the price per fish for green neons or cardinals!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Just an update on this setup, now has a school of neons, a pair of german blue rams, two male D. filamentosus and two long nose whiptail cats. Hoping to get a couple of female d. filamentosus soon.

Nice dark water with a heap of indian almond and oak leaves, some water sprite and duckweed on top.

Very happy with the look so far.

San Merah Discus
    You realise we will require photographic evidence.

I think I could justify spending 28 times the price of a Neon in favour of a Cardinal tetra. Especially in your tank where your Rams will appreciate the higher temps.