Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Bad Metro experience, please help

Hi guys, I'm after feedback from anyone who knows about metro.

The last couple of weeks I've had two discus who refused to eat. I've recently been in contact with a Vet, who told me that Flagyl S (metronidazole benzoate) was the drug I needed to use. I picked it up last night and used as the amount suggested (20-40ml in a 40lite treatment tank for 1-2 hrs) I was told to not only treat the sick discus but the whole group, 6 in total.

Anyway, this wonder drug has caused more issues than I started with. the sick fish are now dead and the healthy fish are blind. I contacted the vet who told me neurological issues (blindness) had been recorded in mammals, and that it was only a temporary side effect. So now I have 4 blind fish that can't see their food, and if things don't go back to normal soon will end up malnourished like their sick (now deceased) siblings anyway, back to square one.
    Has this happened to anyone else, and can I believe the vet saying they will return to normal?
    I'm really quite worried and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
    Tom

Larvae
    wow that stinks. Sorry bud.

i have zero knowledge in this regard. Someone should be along shortly at any rate.
    "We had gay burglars the other night, they broke in and rearranged the furniture!!"
    -Robin Williams-

Hi Tom
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. I cannot coment on your vets advice but I can say I have used metro at 10mg per litre in a hospital tank and I have had no dramas.

I dosed once per day for a period of 10-12 days with a wc before each new dose, I have never heard of a short bath as you describe with metro.

According to Untergasser book on diseases flagyl is metro but your dosage in mls is a little confusing to me.

May I ask what led you to the vet in the first place? Could the eyes be from ammonina burn - just double check and add here.
    Cheers Kath

Blue Diamond Discus
    From memory????? I think I was offered it in liquid (hey but that was a while ago and my memory ain't that good). I haven't had any probs with metro either. Such a bummer for you. I hope this is only a temporary thing.
    Fingers crosses

Hey Tommtc
    Several years ago before i found the forums. I too went to the vet over my discus and they gave me flagyl in liquid form .I lost all of my fish over night .
    Go back to your vet and get metro tablets .
    I use metro tablets at 500mg per 40ltrs once a day with daily 50% water changes for 10 to 12 days .

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Guy's, thanks for the reply's. I think m.ingram is right, stay away from Flagyl liquid, which is what I used. My Marlboro has developed a twitch, it doesn't do it all the time but when it does it keeps going for 10-20min, plus it has lost all it's colour. The other 3 seem a little more with it, but still can't see their food and keep bumping into things and each other.

To answer the questions of Mr.Wild, I went to the vet because the sick fish hadn't eaten for around 3 weeks and had become very skinny, they also had white stringy poo. The vet said metro was the way to go.
    I'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

metro liquid contains sugar, this cause a bacterial bloom and will suffocate your fish

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyc

To answer the questions of Mr.Wild, I went to the vet because the sick fish hadn't eaten for around 3 weeks and had become very skinny, they also had white stringy poo. The vet said metro was the way to go.
    I'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.
    Yeah well in those circumstances I would have used metro too. ILLUSN has the answer for us! thank Jothy always good to learn something. Vets can prescribe metro in tablet form ask for that but I would wind him up about the sugar and suffocation if I were you.

If it were me I would try a few days of nothing but pure clean fresh water to give them a break from meds. Then if needed start metro and be prepared for 10-12 days of wc and fresh meds daily it does work. Good luck.
    Cheers Kath

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Ok, thanks for that info Wild. Yes, pure clean water is all I planned to give them, just have to hope they come good and their sight returns.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Good news for those interested. Their eyesight has returned and they seem 100% again. The Marlboro has stopped it's twitching thankfully, and now has a more vibrant red (can't explain that).
    I'm yet to question the vet about the liquid metro with it's sugar content, but would advise everyone to stay clear of it and stick to the tablets.
    Thanks for the helpful input guy's.