Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow Leafs

Medium Discus
    With my fish growing and nitrates rising amonia levels to, Ive found myself having to do more water changes.
    And my plants are benifiting yellow leafs going, and the swords lok stonger, I can notice a difference in a week.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I just recently found out from my LPS that temperatures in discus tanks ( about 85 deg F) are too hot for live plants... their suggestion was to lower the temp to about 82 83 (which discus can tolerate) but it's still pot luck... the best temp for live plants is about 75 deg F
    Brad

Honorary Discus Lover!!

Depends on the type of plants you want to grow Brad. Have a look at some of the photos of member's tanks. They are still growing a variety of plants, and even at the higher temperatures.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    hmmm well I just put 3 swords in my tank and the temp is around 84...and it looks like they're still getting cooked.. What kind of plants does anyone recommend??
    Brad

Honorary Discus Lover!!

Medium Discus
    Hey B-rad my swords are doing fine at the minute, but the sword nearest to the filter did look like it was getting cooked but with my recent nitrate prob, thus doing more water changes it has cured it.
    The sword furtherist from the heater is cranking, big leaf loooks good.
    My tank sits on 30degrees.

Medium Discus
    Plants use nitrate, i add more to my tank.
    All my tanks sit on 30c and no problem.

The yellowing in the leaves often makes your plants look like they are being cooked. I have a 250ltr tank that is heavily planted and I stopped the yellowing and the breaking down of leaves by adding some iron chelate 13% soluble . Don't go to the local fish shop, this you can buy from a garden centre and pay about $6 for 250g which will last you a lifetime. I only need to disolve about 1/2 a teaspoon into the 250lts and it lasts for about 2-3 weeks. I have iron tested the water and the dose appears to be about right. If you are not sure get an iron test kit and ad very small amounts at first and test after every 2 hours. I took the time to research what the aquarium suppliers are selling and believe me they are just ripping us all off with plant food formula. The manufactures (of the iron chelate 13% soluble Fe as a complex of EDTA) that I use are Manutec Garden Care Products.

Try it it has worked fine for me. Just be careful as I was warned there are two types of iron, the other will kill your fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iron_chelate.jpg  

San Merah Discus
    look at a couple of threads down in this section. I had the same problem, and lots of answers and ideas there :P argg i want GREEN tank

waterflash

on the back of every fert packet it contains a N:P:K ratio and trace elemnt formulation

can you take a pic of this on the back please?
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Just an Egg
    Amazon Swords are a very greedy plant that absorb many nutrients and basic elements from the water.
    They also need feriliser to the roots as well so some tablets may help here.
    Regular water changes are a must to replace basic elements back into the tank for this plant.
    Remember when tanks had steel reinforcing them and plants just grew like mad. It was because of the condensation dripping back into the tank full of iron.

Barry