Hi, I'm New Here!

very skitish discu

hi all,

Just chasing some advice i have a 200 litre tank with 6 smallish discus varying from 5cm to about 7 cm the tank has been running for approx 5 mths unfortunatley the discus allways seem to be very skitish and hide in the corners and when i go to feed them i have take care on making to sudden movements because they dart off to the corners. Their tank mates include 2 x cory's 8 x Cardinal tetras 7 x rummynose and 2x pencil fish i have kept the tank fairly bare to help in ease of maintaince.

regards,

Andrew

Discus can get skittish if your ammonia levels are high so can you post your water perameters Ph nitirte nitrate and ammonia .
    As this will help people help you out also how often and how much water you change .

Quote Originally Posted by m.ingram
    Discus can get skittish if your ammonia levels are high so can you post your water perameters Ph nitirte nitrate and ammonia .
    As this will help people help you out also how often and how much water you change .
    Yes, post up ALL water parameters.
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!

skittish discus

Quote Originally Posted by m.ingram
    Hi thanks for the reply sorry for the late response unfortunatley i don't have my water parameters i generally take a sample to the fish shop and the last time everything was ok i am only doing weekly water changes of around the 25% by the sounds of things i am going to have to increase the changes.

Best regards Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I'd invest a few $$ in good test set. The time and money you'll save by not travelling to get it done at a shop will cover it.

Point being, without knowing what you're water is doing you're chasing your tail.

The first thing you need to know is what are the parameters of the water from the source (tap or rainwater tank) so you know what you're putting into your tank. Then obviously check your tank and respond accordingly.

If you find your water is good then you can find out what else is may be the issue and save yourself time an frustration.

Regarding their skittish behaviour, are they in a high traffic area or somewhere where small kids or pets can harass the tank because they won't like that - it's worth consideration.