Larvae

Does anyone cover there breeding tank??? ie. with newspaper?

hi all
    just wanted to know whether any discus breeders/owners ever cover there breeding tanks up with new paper, covers, whatever when they have a pair breeding in there guarding eggs, rasing fry etc etc

i remember seeing some keepers using this method maybe a few years back but just wondering whether anyone still does..
    if so... y do u do it?
    if not.... y don't u do it?

advantages and disadvantages.......
    thanks heaps

kinezo..

PS.. imma new.. so how do i check my PM thanks in advance
    "cheap no good... good no cheap"

Hi Kinezo, first up, check your private messages by clicking on the line "You have 1 private message" at the top of the page. If there's nothing in your inbox, it will say "You have no private messages".

Now to answer your question, no, I don't paper the tank, and I don't know of anyone who does. I do make sure that all the movement around the breeding tank is calm, no sudden movements or unnecessary loud noises, and I don't let any strangers near the tank during the first critical weeks.

Other than that, I do waterchanges and routine maintenance as per normal.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Tiny Fry

Paper cover

No I dont have any covers placed upon my tanks.

I try to keep traffic past teh tank to a minimum but don't my strangers coming and looking at them.

So why do you ask? Are you thinking maybe you need to cover your tanks.

My breedign tank are located in a seperate fish only room in my house and there is no passign traffic like kids running etc.

It may be noted that if you have a fish that is supposed to be breeding and you keep coming out and each time you do it comes for food then this may be a good time to cover it up to keep it focused on the job at hand. I have a pair of fish that i might do this to myself.

wayne