Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Discus fatalities - what tank conditions are best?

Hello,

I have been keeping discus for around 12 months in a planted tank, fertilised regularly and CO2 injection. Unfortunately, over the last couple of months, I have lost many discus - in large numbers initially and then one or 2 per week. I have 3 left, which seem to be doing okay. I can't seem to identify the problem. All the other tankmates (predominantly corys and tetras have been fine).

I take my water down to the LFS each week and they advise me that my parameters are fine - PH of 7.4, no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. Plants are doing okay. I do 50% water changes weekly.

I have read much and visited many sites and stores, and spoken to breeders. Unfortunately, I get told many things.

The last thing that I have been advised is that if I want to keep discus, I should not have any other fish in the aquarium (ie. not in a community tank), no substrate, no plants and no driftwood. And pH must be below 7.

Is this reasonable to expect? I am tearing my hair out in trying to get things sorted. I want to ensure the fish are healthy and live for longer than a few weeks or months.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve W
    Kind regards

Steve Williams

How big were the fish? do you have photos? How did they die?
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for replying. I had kept some for almost 12 months - so they were quite large. Others were smaller, about the size of a 50cent piece.

I had a large die-off when I introduced a new discus from a local breeder (now I know the need for a quarantine tank). All fish went dark, clamped fins and seemed to have sheen on their coat. Advised it was velvet. Took them out and put them in a tank with a copper treatment. Lost 10, but 10 survived. After three weeks, I put them back, only for it to develop again. Took them out and put them in a quarantine tank with a salt treatment. Lost a few more. Once they went back in, I have lost around one per week, including new ones that I introduced. This time however, they didn't seem to develop the problems I encountered earlier. Just stopped eating, hid and then died. Its very frustrating.

Steve W
    Kind regards

Steve Williams

Copper can be a very harsh chem to use on discus. I would expect they had caught something from one another, QT is SO important. When you say your fish were quite large, exactly how big, that is why I want photos.

Classically, small fish should never be put in a planted tank. The ones of 50cent size were lambs for the slaughter really. Advice to put them in a bare tank was spot on. A planted tank is only good for large mature fish, not small or juvenile discus.
    Keeping discus with other fish is fine, I have wild Scalare (angels) and Cory Sterbai with mine, but there are many fish that will take the high temps that discus require, plants though need to be carefully picked.

What temperature is your tank at ? Also, never rely on your lfs to give you water readings, get your own test kits (liquid ones) and learn about the water yourself.

H
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    From what you describe it sounds like your tank is over crowded and under filtered. This combination will always end in tears for the Discus enthusiast. Can you describe your complete set up to us?

I've found Discus to be tough fish if given good water quality. Mine tolerate Nitrates that sit between 20 and 40ppm (and sometimes higher if I get slack on water changes) but it doesnt seem to bother them at all (its a planted tank). Good diet is also very important when keeping Discus. If you provide poor quality food without much variation you'll have problems.

Cheers

Greggy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for replying. Don't have a picture at present that I can post. Tank is 560 litres, and temperature is around 29 degrees.

In relation to ph, my own testing suggests that it is quite stable at around 7.4 - Brisbane tap water. Is there any real need to drop the ph below 7? Or can discus thrive at levels above 7.

Thanks

Steve W
    Kind regards

Steve Williams

Wrigglers
    stability steve.....thats all i have to say

Wrigglers
    Discus have no problems at all living in high pH water - mine live permanently in pH of almost 8.0 Of course, breeding them in high pH (high hardness) water is another matter.

As I said, Discus are tough fish and they can put up with quite an extreme of physical water water conditions, but you MUST keep NH3 and NO2 levels at ZERO, whilst levels of NO3, dissolved organic compunds and other less desirable things in the water must stay low.

Did you say anywhere what filtration you are using on your 560L tank, or have I missed that post?

Cheers

Greggy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for replying. Filter is an AQUIS 2400 canister filter from Aqua One. Claims to be suitable for tanks of up to 800L.

So, if I wanted to start again with smaller bare-bottom tank and feed them up until they are a size that is appropriate to add to a community tank?

Steve W
    Kind regards

Steve Williams

4" SL at least
    Why me ?