Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wrigglers

Unwell Eartheater

Hello, over the last couple of days my 15cm 'Orange Head' Geophagus hasn't been looking the best and I am a little concerned about her. She appears to have some sort of infection on the lefthand side of her mouth/jaw area and I am not sure whether it came about from fighting or whether she has caught some sort of illness. I haven't had too many sick fish in my time keeping fish and I am not really sure what it is and what I should do about it. I have posted some pics (sorry about the quality, the camera I was using was pretty ordinary) of her along with my post and any information or ideas for treatment would be a great help.

P.S. The tank is a 4x2x2 footer and she is housed amongst other Geophagus. The tank is clean and the ammonia is 0ppm and the nitrate is 40ppm. I do a 30% water change on the tank per week and all the other fish are in great shape.

Thanks alot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sick_fish_pics_used_online_-_3.jpg   sick_fish_pics_used_online_-_2.jpg   sick_fish_pics_used_online_-_1.jpg  

I am no expert but I would up the water changes to keep the water pristine and add some salt to try and help the fish heal herself before throwing in any medications. JMO. HTH.

Kath
    Cheers Kath

Wrigglers
    Okie dokes, thanks for the info Kath. I'll increase the water changes and add some salt.

Wrigglers
    Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with her? It appears to be getting worse as time goes on and I would like to isolate her but I don't have a spare tank I could use. Does anyone think it might be contagious?

Thanks

Blue Diamond Discus
    You can use a plastic tub with a heater and an airstone (if you don't have a spare cycled filter) just keep up with the water changes. I rarely use meds just a kath said salt and very very clean water, Maybe it's time to add some meds but I am sorry to say I'm not the best with meds advice I think maybe tetracycline could be the one ?? Can't really get a good look at the problem. Is it a hole or a lump?? I would be taking her out just in case and treat her on her own. Good luck

Wrigglers
    Thanks for your reply Ipiasente. It's more of a hole that is getting larger by the day unfortunately. After some thought I think I will isolate her in a plastic tub, keep an eye on her in there and dose with some salt. What type of salt do you use? Is it just table salt or is there a special type and how much do you think I should use?

Also, I have been reading up on fish illnesses and from what I have read it looks a bit like either 'hole in the head' disease or 'gill flukes'. I am no expert but she is breathing heavily and the wound is on her gill/jaw area, which are both symptoms of gill flukes.

Thanks

Blue Diamond Discus
    mmm not sure what it could be but sounds good to put her in her own tub and add salt I think this would really help. I use rock salt. if it doesn't seem to be getting betterin a few days then I think tetracycline could be the go. ?? If anyone else thinks something else please drop in this is what I would do though.

Wrigglers
    How much salt do you think I should dose?

I dont want to state the obvious, but there must be forums dedicated to this species of fish that can help you with specific help. I know nothing of these fish, only discus. I am sure there are similarities with many fish, but I would hate to guess and kill your fish.

Good luck though James
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    That's a fair point hollowman. The main reason I posted on here was because I visit this forum pretty regularly and have got good information from here in the past. I have just registered with the 'cichlid forum' and am waiting on an email from them, so when that account is up and running I'll post a topic on there. I tried to register with 'www.eartheaters.com', which would probably be the best place to ask, but the site is having some problems and it wouldn't allow me to.

Anyways thanks for your help Ipiasente.