Just an Egg

AQuaone/Ehein/Fluval

Hi All,

Currently have two aquaone 1200 on my 600 litre tank. CAme with tank.

After reading forum most people have eheim and some fluval

I can thinking of adding an additonal new filter, I can purchase from my LFS either a AQUAONE Aquis Advance 1250 Canister FOR $189.00

OR EHEIM PROFESSIONAL 2 MODEL 2028 FOR $510.00.

Are the eheim worth the extra money or is the media conteent of canister filter more important than the actual filter?

Thanks in advance

Just an Egg
    Forgot to add both proces include media

Dont buy a 2028 more trouble then its worth go for a 2217, or a 2228 if you buy an eheim (both are cheeper then the 2028 expect to pay ~300ish for 2217, 2228 ~450) aquaones have come ALONG way and are quite good filters, the build quality isn't as high as the eheims and you might not get as good product support (i expect at least 20yrs support as you get from eheim, aquaone might not support their products for as long.)

I dont like fluvals i fint the plastics go brittle too fast (This is only baesd on 404 and FX5) I love the old 303 and 304 fluvals and still believe thery were one of the best filters ever made (just like the eheim 2217).

Just an Egg
    The actual warranty for aqua one products is now 4 years if you register online, so basically I am better off to spend $189 and put the extra $$ into media etc,

Thanks again!

The only real benifits of eheims are reliability, as I've said before I've got some that are well over 20years old, in a few years maybe i'll rate aquaones more highly, but the build quality must come up a peg or 2 (eheims have zero by bass through the media where all aquaones have some my aquiss 2400 had so much i got rid of it), taps and seals start to leak after some time (see matzillas post as most of these chinease models are much of a muchness), eheim rubber seems to last forever.

The aquaone media isn't great, their advanced substrate clogs way to fast and doesn't seem to flow as well as eheim substrate pro (most proably due to shape), as the aquaones have so much more grunt (850+l/h vs 600l/h) its less of a problem.

Eheims use very little power 20w for a 2217 vs 50-60 watts for the same rated aquaone or fluval (600L tank model) this can be a problem if like me your average power bill is over $1200 a quarter.

finally the support network for eheim is fantastic world wide, fluval has a long way to go outside the US and aquaone is on the improve most shops now stock spares as they turn them over often enough to make them profitable (see above comment on buid quality).

its up to you wether the eheims are worth the money or not. With 3 filters at your disposal it wont matter if one fails for whatever reason, so the extra reliabilty wont be an advantage, if you just got yourself another 1200 you'd only need to stock 1 set of spare parts (for when the unthinkable does happen) which is also a massive financial advantage, also being cheep even if one died beyond repair you could replace it and still be infront compared to the cost of a 2228 once you loose 2 however (possible over a one to 2 decade period) you'd have been better off with the 2228 or a 2217.

Just an Egg
    Thanks again, I seem to chop and change every five minutes, will I wont I etc etc.

I have decided to repair a broken aqauone myself (1200) and be on the lookout for eheim2217 at a good price, this way I get my 3 filters running and I can save for the extra for the 2217.

Why you ask i have 3 aquaones wont broke during water change as it was an emergency and funds where short etc etc blah blah blah

rRE your electricly I regularly have $1400 plus bills so much so I decided to pay $80 every week to electricity to ease the quarterly burden LOL.

Thanks, enojying being on this forum

go the eheim 2217

great filter, value for money, silent running and they just seem to go forever

i only buy eheim filters now cause i have tried many others and none of them stack up to the eheim over time
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>