Hi, I'm New Here!

0.01 micron filter

Frequency of water change can be reduced or totally eliminated by using 0.01 micron filter. One day while shopping, i came across a water filter company demo their 0.01 micron filter.They tested the muddy input water and not surprising the output water was clean as crystal. So i brought my own water polluted with minced pork heart and when they test it, the outcome is positive. Output water is very clear. For me i would like to r n d with 0.01 micron filter to my discus,so that i can feed them with pork heart without needing to change water. Just do the backwash for 1min per few days! In Msia it cost below RM 1000/=.
    The good mineral of water will be maintained. External Parasite, bacteria, n worms will become histories. Note: Chlorine still exists but it can be easily removed w cheap carbon filter.

This is terrible advice in my opinion. There is never a substitute for changing water. Even with a fine filter, you can not remove the DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) which are going to be present in unchanged water.

Water changing is a necessary part of growing healthy strong and proportioned fish. Plus it is the only way to remove DOC's
    Why me ?

steve is 100% correct, disolved compounds are small enough to get inbetween molocules of water, they cannot be removed by filtraion (but can be locked away by resins or plants) do your water changes and enjoy healthier fish theres no reason a discus cant live for well over 15years so long as you keep up your water quality.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    This is terrible advice in my opinion. There is never a substitute for changing water. Even with a fine filter, you can not remove the DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) which are going to be present in unchanged water.

Water changing is a necessary part of growing healthy strong and proportioned fish. Plus it is the only way to remove DOC's
    more info about DOC...pls?

Just an Egg
    Submicronic filtration is a kind of mechanical filtration only. It is good for removing the tiny particles that can make the water look cloudy, muddy or dirty. Because of the tiny size of the pores, even a lot of parasites and unicellular algae are trapped by the submicronic filter. Be aware that submicronic filters clog up very quickly, after maybe two to three hours of use, so they should not be left on continually like normal filters. Instead, bring the submicronic filter out once or twice a week, set it up and turn it on for two or three hours until it begins to clog up. Then, turn the submicronic filter off, wash it clean and put it away so it can be ready to be used next time.

The roles for submicronic filters are therefore to improve water visibility and assist in removing parasites and unicellular algae. However, submicronic filters have no part to play in providing biological filtration or chemical filtration.

If one put in a lot of thought and effort into setting up a very sophisticated chemical filtration system with various resins and activated carbon which are regularly recharged or replaced, one might conceivably be able to remove most of the nitrate and phosphate waste products. The activated carbon can also adsorb a lot of the dissolved organic compounds, eg, the urinary and faecal dyes that stain the water a brown/yellow colour. Also, some fish secrete hormones which retard the growth of other fish in the tank - and these hormones can be adsorbed by activated carbon. One can further neutralize a lot of these dissolved organic compounds by using an ozonizer, which oxidizes these organic compounds into less harmful end-products. However, even these end-products should be removed from the water every once in a while, and that has to be done via water changes.

Furthermore, water changes not only remove harmful waste products from the water. Providing you are using water of high quality to replace the water removed when doing water changes, you are also adding beneficial minerals and trace elements back into the aquarium.

Think about the water systems in which aquarium fish live. I would guess that the vast majority of fish species kept in aquariums do not originate in stagnant puddles of dead water. In a river system like the Amazon tributaries where our discus originate, water is constantly flowing and being replaced many times a day.

Therefore, we may be able to reduce the frequency of water changes by using sophisticated and expensive chemical filtration systems, but we may not be able to eliminate doing water changes completely.

Good info Blackwater
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    One major concern is will the filter easily stuck? It is highly suggested to install a cheap pre-stage wool filter , so that it can capture larger particles of pork heart. Is the membrane costly? It cost just around RM 200 +.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    just sharing:--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn1291.jpg2.jpg