Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving House

No problem Aaron , I look forward to it Good luck with the move buddy.
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Aaron,

I too am in the Defence force and have moved plenty of times, after a while i got sick of trying to find some spare blokes,(once reverted to paying 3 random blokes at the pub down the road $20 each!)so i just asked the professional glass handlers how they move glass around.

Find your local glassier and ask about glass moving suction handles. Basically a large pump run suction cup with a handle you just put em on the tank pump it a few times to create a vacuum and they are fixed in position. used them to lift a 8x2x2 with no dramas. Cost me bout $250 a set but that was a few years ago.

Brett

Medium Discus
    Hey Brett,

Thanks for your help.

Are you talking about these hand held glass suckers or do you mean a mechanical arm pully type machine that holds and rolls with the tank, operated by one person?

I am familiar with glass suckers and will be hiring these for the day.

If you are talking about a mechanical arm... Does it run off a computer chip and program? Something I can possibly modify to enable a personal robo-arm. Thus utilising its sci-fi capaibilities to not only be a functional aquarium mover, but an avid arm wrestler, BBQ-er/chef, handyman and possible neighbourhood watch cop - bringing justice to theifs and annoying neighbours alike?

Just thinking an initial outlay in cost may be beneifical if i can get multiple uses from robo-arm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glass_sucker.jpg   robot_glass_lifter.jpg  
    Aaron

Hi Aaron

Where do you hire those glass suckers from?

Not that I'm moving, but have helped my son (who is another Aaron BTW) move numerous times. He has less tanks than he used to, but still has a 6 x 2 x 2
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

would also been keen to know where to buy them from, I have plenty of tanks to move around (Damn fishrooms)

Just an Egg
    Thats them, the hand held ones, very easy to use and make moving tanks so much easier, Illusn I got mine from Viridian Glass in Alexandria a few years ago but am sure most Glass places could source them for you.

Medium Discus
    Hi,

I received a quote from a place called complete hire.

Thank you for your enquiry,

Glass suckers are $20.00 each per day.

Regards

Greg Gardem
    Operations Manager
    Main Office & Administration
    296 Canterbury rd
    Canterbury
    O:9718 9666 F:9718 7644

City Branch
    Cnr Wentworth Park rd & Cowper st
    Glebe
    O:9571 9999 F:9571 9699
    greg@completehire.com.au
    But I basically did a google search and found a site that looks for you. I think i typed glass sucker hire or something simple like that.

I have not hired it yet as I am thinking I may buy a pair - Thanks for the sales place Brett. I will look into it.

Funnily, I am moving to Alexandria. Robyn if i buy a pair and your son (great name) wants to use them, then give me a call.
    Aaron

Medium Discus
    ps. I just called Viridian Glass to which only sell glass now.
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by AHC
    Robyn if i buy a pair and your son (great name) wants to use them, then give me a call.
    Thanks
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"