Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving House

Medium Discus

Moving House

Hi

Ok. So, moving with a 780L tank is a lot more stressful then my previous 200l tank. I will be moving late March and am thinking of hiring a truck to move all my furniture and tanks. My question is regarding the actual glass tank. Its 5.5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft and am woundering what your thoughts are on moving this with a moving trolley? You know the trolleys you use to move boxes, fridges etc? If i use a blanket for the bottom of the trolley and verticle rail and fit the tank on length ways running up the trolley, would this be ok?

My concern is that I do not know stress loads and how much i can get away with before i start compromising the join intergrity. Would this put a lot of weight on one side of the tank?

I am thinking if i can do this then it is easier then buying glass suckers, a dolly to roll the tank and getting more people to help lift it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moving_trolley.jpg  
    Aaron

I wouldn't use the sack trucks you have pictured Aaron, the tank will be way to heavy for them and moving independantly from eachother you will have BIG problems. I would get a proper 4 wheeled trolley or a team to lift it.
    Just go careful.
    Why me ?

Just say when mate, your much better off with 4 blokes to move a tank.

your tank is the same size as mine and me and 3 other moved mine in no problems.

Hi Aaron,

Being in the Defence Force means that I move ALOT! I've seen many ways used by the professionals to move a 6x2x2 that I had.
    The best and safest way I witnessed was with the use of piano lifting straps. They're basically a large strap that goes over you should and around your back and under the object (tank in this case) and another on the other end. When you stand the load isn't taken by your lower back. I'm not sure were you'd get them, otherwise I know you can hire the small removalist companies on an hourly rate for small jobs. The bonus with this is that their insured against breakages, I found that out the hard way..
    If you do use a four wheel trolley ensure the trolley is wider than the base of the tank otherwise the tank base will fail and the sides will 'fall' to the ground around the trolley. This is how I found out about the insurance..

HTH.. Good luck

Medium Discus
    Ok thanks guys.

Yeah i thought I was stretching it using one trolley and the tank length ways like a fridge.

I received some quotes from a removalist coming in and doing all my stuff, including tank. So i am thinking i will go with the best one with insurance. That way it takes the stress out of it all. Jothy if it looks like i need another hand i will give you a call. Thanks so much for that.
    Aaron

I am more than happy to come help too Aaron
    Why me ?

[quote="AHC"] i am thinking i will go with the best one with insurance. That way it takes the stress out of it all.quote]

I'd say it the safest option and you rightly say - stress free.. when they broke one of my early tanks I initially thought "*&&^#$)*&!!" but a moment later I was thinking "awesome, new tank!".

Medium Discus
    Dont get too stressed about the move..its pretty straight forward (I moved from Perth to Sydney, then moved house again in Sydney)

A 5 x 2 x 2 tank isnt really that heavy.....it can be moved really easily by two people...I moved all my 6 x 2 x 2 with just myself and brother-in-law (and Im a tall but really scrawny bloke)
    Just make sure its EMPTY....communicate well with the other carriers when carrying it (talk to each other before moving, rounding corners, putting it down etc).
    I moved mine with a trailer, lay carpet or cardboard down, wedge some carpet/cardboard/old poly between each tank and the sides of the trailer/truck (basically ANYWHERE that the tank is likely to touch anything) and drive sensibly but not too slowly.

I wouldnt use a trolley at all, theres just not enough give (like hands and shoulders) and if things go wrong they will go very wrong.

Mike

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I just moved my 6x2x1.5 from Cairns to Sydney with no dramas.
    I wrapped the tank in removalist blankets and taped these on with packing tape. I strapped the tank to the bars on the removalist truck and it got down here in one piece.
    As for picking it up, my father in-law and I carried it down his driveway (truck wouldn',t fit down). If you're unsure, get a couple more people to help lift it.

Medium Discus
    Okay Great. Thanks everyone for your feedback and Steve for your help offer - I will skype you into a laptop my girlfriend can carry and you can direct us? hahaha.

I am rather excited about the move now.

It also gives me a chance to take off the black background paint and change it to a grey or white.

Thanks again.
    Aaron