Thread: uv's?????

Blue Diamond Discus

uv's?????

I have been getting a bit of alge in the tank and I hate it so thought I would add a uv to help rid of it. I went to the lps today thinking I knew what I was after????????????????? I didn't want a 36 er just one to clean up the alge, maybe one of those ones that you can put in the tank but I have now come home with a Bio pressure pond filter that cleans ponds up to 4000 l litres containing a uv. OMG I am sure this will blow my fishies out of the water, won't it? I haven't even put it in the tank as I thought I would ask here first if it will and I need to exchange it.

San Merah Discus
    It really depends on how strong the pump is compared to how big your tank is.

Blue Diamond Discus
    Duh

The tank is 4x2x2. I already have 2xehiem 2217. I had a look insde this thing and the amount of sponges in there is fabulous could be good if it's not too much water flow.Funny though I must admit I am far from bright when it comes to all this .......what I call boy jobs it has no hoses to go in and out of the tank and no way for the water to get into the filter, you think if the fellow was going to sell me this thing he would also sell me all the extras that I need for it to run. I didn't know it needed extras.

uvs will only kill free floating algae, if you get algae growing on stuff it wont help, add a CO2 kit and bump up your carbon, or reduce your photoperiod.

pond filters dont ship with hoses (none of the bigger ones anyway) most run off an internal pump you'll have to buy a pump and hose to suit your filter. personally i think 2 2217's is over kill for a 4x2x2, dad has the same setup (1x 2217 1x 2228) and houses 10 XXXL discus with no problems.

Blue Diamond Discus
    I did ask on here what filtration I needed when I first set up the 4x2x2 and I was told 2x2217 so that is why I got it. I will take the pond pump back and get the uv. When I had a canister with a uv ,before it broke, it killed all the black hair alge.