Peppermint BN question

Hi all

I have peppermint BN (some from Jothy & some from Mike). I think either L031 http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=189
    or
    L071 http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...pecies_id=1249

I don't know how to tell which of the 2 types I have (maybe Jothy & Mike can tell me, if either see this post)

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if they are safe to have in my tank with a BTN 3D background. I was told to avoid Panaques or other wood eaters. I know my pepps aren't Panaques, but they eat wood.

Then, someone else told me that Bristlenose in general are safe with the backgrounds, because they dont eat wood like a Panaque (Royal Plec) which has rows of chisel like teeth, instead they eat the film on the surface of the wood that has lots of bugs, algae and detritous in it.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is if Peppermint BN do have those sharp chisel like teeth, that might cause damage to my background.

Thanks in advance for any info
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

PEPPERMINTS WILL RASP AT ALGAE GROWING ON THE BACKGROUND, ITS NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM WITH MY LATEX BACKGROUNDS.

PEPPERMINTS ARE GENERALLY REGARDED AS L183 THOUGH TO BE FAIR I SWARE THEY ARE l71/L81/L249 (ALL SAME SPECIES)

Jothy, since you know these pepps so well, would you mind if I posted a small cut off of my background to you. It's not a latex type background. You might be able to tell if it is peppermint safe

no prob robyn just send it up i'll chuck it into one of my tanks.

Will post a piece to you - thanks Jothy

This is a quote from what someone else said to me about BN plecs that are safe.

"You have to choose Loricariidae wisely. No Panaques or other wood eaters! Hypancistrus, Baryancistrus and so on are good choise of plecs. I have had L128, L168, L333, L401, and currently have L046 and sturisomas in this tank, no problems with rasping the background."

Though I seem to be getting the message that in general all BN's are ok, due No-one seemed positive either way about peppermints in particular, as they weren't familiar with pepps.

Turquoise Discus
    I realise this is an old post, but to set your mind at rest, I've had 9 pepps in with a large log in a 6 ft tank for a number of years, with no noticible notches on the log from the pepps at all. Some from me dropping the log while mving it around, but none from the fish!

Hope that helps!

DE

I have Pepps as well and no munching on log. The L397 have a munching problems
    Peppermints are the best catfish