Eheim 2217 + Pond Master 36W Simple Question

Hey Guys,

I've bought myself a Pond Master 36W UVC for Christmas and I finially decided to install it.

The really simple question is do I hook it to the inlet valve or the outlet valve. I personally would have hooked it to the Outlet Value, simply the fact is that the water is filted, causing less build up of crap in the UVC.

But I've seen multiple installs where the UVC is hooked up to the inlet valve, so instead of blindly installing it to the inlet valve, i thought I'd ask the question

If i'm wrong please let me know and why?

Cheers

Rob

Anyone

I dont think it really matters, I think I would put it before the filter if it were me, but I have never used a UV.

Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Hi Rob,

I have put mine before the filter. I feel that it is going to be zapping anything coming in from the tank before it gets into and sets up residence in the filter.

I also felt that as I was marginal for "head height" on the filter (170 cm with a 180 cm max) that it would reduce the work load on the filter.

I may have to rethink when I take it down to see how much gunk is in the UV unit but will let you know how that goes. Another six months or so.

Regards,

Bob

outlet is better as clean water has less particulates that can block the uv light also helps keep the quartz sleave cleaner for longer.

My UV instructions said it was possible to put it on either, but that it was preferable to install it after the filter, so clean water is going through it.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Cool, thanks guys, I'll put it on after the filter, just so it doesn't clog with gunk and bacteria can still get to the filter without being wiped out.

Thanks guys, UV is installed and is working perfectly.

I'm hoping this is a simple question, is there such a thing as too much UV clensing? I'm thinking the answer is no, but after running it 3 days, I've noticed one of my discus has started showing signs of fin clamp.

Cheers

Rob