Medium Discus

Golden Leopard's from JMS - Not Golden Leopards

Hi,

Just a friendly caution that JMS in Sydney are selling orange spot Leopards that are Pigeon Blood based under the name of 'Golden Leopards' which are quite rare.

Am i correct in saying that True Golden Leopards are not PB based?

I recently bought a juvie and had questioned at the time if it was PB based, to which they said no (I dont like PB discus). I have since identified that it is PB based via the standard peppering which accompanies PB based Discus.

I had called them since and they said they are GL's and not PB. They checked their supplier overseas who said they are not PB.

I informed them it is peppering and asked if they are prepared to refund or give a store credit for the difference in excessive price charged, to which made them even more abusive.

This is a post of caution only and I welcome discussion, hopefully from JMS themselves, to prove the peppering on my Leopard is indeed possibly ticks, blackheads or perhaps actual pepper from a phantom feeder with a flare for a seasoned beefheart mix.

Cheers
    Aaron

Hi mate i was under the impression that all goldens were pigion based

Medium Discus
    It will be good to get some confirmation as if i'm wrong, i need to change the heading to this post. Despite being told it's not a PB base (so i bought it, knowing i dont like PB), if they are all PB base they need to market them accordingly. Big detail in my eyes.

I enquired if it was PB based. They confirmed it wasnt so this is where my research started. I went to the internet to enquire. From what i have read, true GL and GLSS are not Pigeon based?

I have the links to other sites that details my research but am not sure if i can post here due to them being competitor sites .

A quote extracted...

"GL comes from a Golden (Brown based) X Original Red spotted green (Spots on most of body) results in a hybrid. Cross the siblings (hybrid) with the heavily spots and goldish based together to get Golden Leopard. One can replace the red spotted green with a confirmed spotted leopard but watch for spots degradation in Subsequent generations. You could use an uncle/ aunt from F1 to strengthen the spots in F2 and onwards."

I can see how an orange spot is leopard is breed from a PB based gene and a leopard... but the so called true GL???
    Aaron

nice reserch mate, most of the goldens i've seen are juiced pigions (yellow crystals, yellow melon etc), i suppose the whites are derived from browns, so a white that expressed yellow pigments uniformaly would be a gold (i have a lovely golden brown atm in dads tank).

unlucky mate just goes to show some shops will say anything to make a sale.

Medium Discus
    Yeah. Pay's to research before you buy. lol.

I am ok about it, if i can at least post a caution so others are a little more aware. It could have been worse.

I will keep him and grow him out in the BB (and lightly coloured) spare tank. I have transferred all my new guys back to a spare tank to grow them out more before putting them back into the display tank.
    Aaron

Golden Leopard's from JMS - Not Golden Leopards

Who and what is this JMS you mentioned as i have never heard of them.

Medium Discus
    JMS is a LFS here in Sydney, who have had positive feedback posted, and who import Discus and sell from their Carlinford shop. I believe they import from Malaysia (going from a previous conversation).
    Aaron

Hi, I'm New Here!

They import from China not Malaysia

Dave gets all his fish from China