Just an Egg

Any crabs, shrimps, prawns OK for Discus tank?

I will be starting up a 6x2x1.5 Discus tank soon and was after some different type tank mates to add some diversity. Are there any type of small crabs, shrimps or other invertabrates which will work with Discus and warm, soft, acidic water conditions?

small crabs and shrimp get eaten, if you want to add a little diversity try some corries, rams, or some of your meatier L numbers like L333, L134's or L066

Just an Egg
    I just had a look at some L333s and L066s. Yes they do look nice and I wouldnt mind getting one if I can find one of each. I would still like to have had a small shrimp or crab, but not if the Angel, Ram,Discus or Ghost knife fish will eat them though.

Angel, Discus and Ghost knife will eat them, even the bigger prawns and crays dont stand much of a chance these fish just pick and pick and pick at them.

333's and 66's are nice and mostly carnivourus so you wont have the same diet problems you get with vegitarian plecos.

Just an Egg
    Reading up on the L333s, it seems they will like the same sort of food, temperature and water conditions as Discus. Just got to get hold of some now. I dont suppose they will be at every LFS???

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    If you have enough plant cover glass and cherry shrimp will do fine.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

your best bet for 333's is to jump onto a pleco froum, expect to pay around $100 each at 3-4cm, the golder varients are more desirable and better for breeding stock if you can find them.