Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Maybe you could attract new members and encourage activity..

by updating the home page more often than once every year and a half. Or is the June 08 photo competition still on going?

Blue Diamond Discus
    Unfortunately these forums haven't changed alot since I joined back in December 07. Control remains with its owner/admin Proteus and those advisors who still visit. Even the number of active advisors has dropped in recent times.

These forums are so popular and well structured its a shame to see them dwindle like this as there is HUGE potential here. I myself lost interest and joined several other forums but i still visit. I guess until more control is given to members and new advisors/admins are appointed not alot will change.

One things for sure thou, there are some fantastic people here with unmeasurable experience and knowledge.

times at a bit of a premium for most of us, It's amazing that the forum is still going as strong as it is, once the economy turns a bit more and quality discus come back in intrest will come back and more members will find the forum as they look for answers.

this is still one of the best knowlage pools on the net, best of all its all "real world" not text book, the stuff here is trully mindblowing as long as people have the patients to serch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt15
    Unfortunately these forums haven't changed alot since I joined back in December 07. Control remains with its owner/admin Proteus and those advisors who still visit. Even the number of active advisors has dropped in recent times.

These forums are so popular and well structured its a shame to see them dwindle like this as there is HUGE potential here. I myself lost interest and joined several other forums but i still visit. I guess until more control is given to members and new advisors/admins are appointed not alot will change.

One things for sure thou, there are some fantastic people here with unmeasurable experience and knowledge.
    As you have stated, things haven't changed much in the past few years, however, work is being done behind the scenes on a major facelift and upgrade which will make things like the front page a lot more interactive, i.e. changing daily.

In regards to activity, whilst the posting of articles has slowed slightly, traffic has steadily increased every month for the past few years.

Like most people, the Admin's and Advisor's have real lives, families, jobs, etc etc, and whilst they might not post every day, or in some cases in some time they are online every few days reading things, replying to PM's etc etc.

You mention control to the members? please explain? The level of moderation here is very light compared to a lot of other sites, we try to be as fair and friendly as we can.

In regards to new advisors, that is already on the cards. As it stands a couple of the long time advisors are no longer in the hobby, they do drop in from time to time and say hi in the private advisors/admins forum areas, hence why it may appear they are not around, yet they are in some capacity.

We are all open to suggestions to take things forward, so if there is something that needs attention let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    times at a bit of a premium for most of us, It's amazing that the forum is still going as strong as it is, once the economy turns a bit more and quality discus come back in intrest will come back and more members will find the forum as they look for answers.

this is still one of the best knowlage pools on the net, best of all its all "real world" not text book, the stuff here is trully mindblowing as long as people have the patients to serch for it.
    As Illusn stated, and as I touched on in my last reply, time is the biggest factor for most of us. Personally I have been working on some huge projects since April, and just when I think they are under control, a new project is thrown into the mix.

Also, as I touched on before, this site will soon undergo a major facelift/upgrade, that will certainly help with making the place look fresher, user friendly along with offering features that very few other free forums offer.

Features like detailed Discus guides, a wiki type section for common asked questions, illness and medication references, along with some support from aquarium product manufacturers that I have been speaking to recently.

I am hoping to have this done in the next couple of months, so stay tuned for updates.

Another point on the site upgrade, some may have noticed a lot of forums have changed to the new phpBB platforms etc etc, on all but a couple of forums that I also visit, there have been tens, if not hundreds of posts from members complaining about how things are now compared to previously, new layouts, old features not in the same place etc etc. Instead of rushing out we have sat back and taken in all these points, so once we do change things we hope for very few, if any complaints.

FYI, The Homepage (News & Announcements) has been updated...

If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free and share your ideas, after all we want to make this site the best it can be

Blue Diamond Discus
    Proteus a facelift sounds great. Even a new board template would be nice on the eyes for something different.
    Some of the newer phpBB boards have some uesless features hence why there are probably soo many complaints but they also have some nice quick links etc which can be utilised.
    Some people never like change but i'm sure it will be welcomed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus
    You mention control to the members? please explain?
    It's directed for both comments I made - in general being that we should have new members appointed as advisors or maybe even moderators.
    We just need several more active members who have the powers to organise competitions, liaise with sponsors and spark the forums etc.

I totally understand about real life time constraints and certainly don't expect any more from the team here already.

In the comings days/weeks I will start a post regarding new advisors.

I want to get an idea first of what we are going to offer on the upgraded site so a call can be made for interested parties.

Also, given how diversified the hobby is, whilst still keeping the main focus on Discus, some more resources made available to areas such as aquascaping (planted aquaria) and other species.

Another thing I am considering is closing down www.BettaForums.com and moving the relevant content (advanced articles, etc) between here and www.AusFishForum.com and just running the 2 forums.

Once again, as per previous any suggestions are welcome

Tiny Fry
    The wiki idea sounds great - it would make it much easier to find relevant information.

Also have you thought about having a separate online shop section for selling the best discus related products such as eheim filters, mals blackworms etc.

You wouldn't have to handle the products yourself. You could enter an arrangement with one of the site sponsors who could supply and ship the products and you could take a small percentage of sales to help keep the site going.

The products could then be reviewed by admins and given a score for economy and functionality, ensuring that newbs get independant advice.

Just a thought...

R

Quote Originally Posted by rwel4809
    Also have you thought about having a separate online shop section for selling the best discus related products such as eheim filters, mals blackworms etc.

You wouldn't have to handle the products yourself. You could enter an arrangement with one of the site sponsors who could supply and ship the products and you could take a small percentage of sales to help keep the site going.

The products could then be reviewed by admins and given a score for economy and functionality, ensuring that newbs get independant advice.

Just a thought...

R
    The shop idea is good however in the big scheme of things I think it will cause too many issues, due to conflicts of interest.

What I am more interested in would be a review type page where products can honestly be commented on without the risk of having a vendor or manufacturer taking things the wrong way, i.e. heavily moderated, whilst still maintaining the opinion of the reviewer.

In regards to Discus related products I would rather invite retailers to promote a few specific items, and in return offer members here pricing that is not available to any Joe blow off the street, that way it is win/win for both parties.