Thread: new eggs

Hi, I'm New Here!

new eggs

hi all
    over past 4 weeks on a weekly basis my red discus
    has been laying egss but every time the eggs do not get fetilised
    half the eggs turn yellow in 2 days and the other half are clear but go yellow about 2 days after the first lot
    is the female laying eggs on seperate days???

there is also a yellow discus in same tank that i hope is a male

well luckily tonight i actually caught them doing the deed heheh

the red laid her egss on the back wall on the glass
    she would face up vertically and let them out slowly
    the yellow discus watched over her back and every now and then it would
    go to the back wall and face upwards and slide its thingy over the eggs
    now i have not seen the yellow one lay eggs but it copies everything the red female is doing
    the red and the yellow discus both also slide of the eggs and i guess try to clean them

ive had discuses for afew years and am so happy if they breed

im trying to look at the genitals of the dicsuses to see if they are different
    im just guessing but looks like the red female has a white thing closer to front which eggs come out and then the thing at back where poo is hehehe

the yellow which i think is male only has the thing at the back with stringy looking stuff there

are they are couple and down the track the male might figure out how to use his manhood or have i got 2 females

its very exciting heheh

Just an Egg
    it is amazing watching discus spawn.

i have 2 breeding pairs, but 1 male is a bit too sick to be interested at the moment, so one male is fertilizing both females eggs. lucky bugger.

but i have the same prob as you, the female does a few runs, then the male does a few over. both parents stay with the eggs, blow on the and fan them, but still after 2 - 3 days the eggs go white and they eat them.

i guess its trial and error i suppose but with each spawn they seem to be getting better (first spawn eggs lasted less than 8hrs b4 getting eaten).

considering i have seen the same male 'fertilize' two different females eggs about 4-5 times now, i m begining to wonder if he is sterile. i have read that calcium deposits can build up in the sperm ducts of male discus making them sterile. (this usually only happens when the discus r juvi and growing up)

Hi, I'm New Here!
    well nearly 2 days later afew have not fertilised
    the rest are going a brown colour

here are some pics using my mobile phone
    looks abit greeny cause of the fungus medicine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02102009086.jpg   02102009085.jpg   02102009084.jpg