Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    These are turks x red alenquer i bred about 10 months ago. Out of 15 discus i grew out only 1 was what you could define as red turk, the rest were more like an alenquer.

HTH

Rod
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red_turquoise_x_alenquer_f1_06.jpg   red_turquoise_x_alenquer_f1_08.jpg   red_turquoise_x_alenquer_f1_01.jpg  

Nice looking cross Rod. Thanks for that.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    Hi and thanks for your posts. I can't believe my luck - the babies seem to be thriving and now eating the odd bbs - I am keeping the lights on and 20% water change/day - The dad hasn't seemed to have eaten anything for the past 10 days, but still looks good. Here's a couple of pics

Just an Egg
    Can anyone tell me when I can count my chickens? I can only manage to feed them 3 times/day, so I was planning on leaving the dad to look after them as long as possible.

Great news Sean. Sounds like you've got a wonderful dad there. Keep and eye on his condition, but it seems he is doing it easy at the moment. Try to keep those little bellies filled with yummy brine shrimp. You should be able to see the orange of the baby brine shrimp showing thru the wall of the belly. Then you know they are feeding well.

At two weeks, you can begin to turn the lights off at night, and begin feeding very finely grated beef heart for at least one meal. Last thing at night, syphon the bottom of the tank so the babies go to bed in clean water.

Keep up the good work.

Larvae
    Sean,
    Congrads Iam hoping soon that will be me, WHERE are the pictures.

You said to get some fry food from Seaview which I will get tomorrow Have you or ladyred heard of cyclop-eeze suppose to be great fry food? karen

Just an Egg
    Haven't heard of the cyclops stuff - APR is the stuff I use which is suppose to be full of rotifers, artemnia (bbs), and something that starts with 'P'. I also mix in a spirulina based fry food from Sera with the APR - must say they do not seem that interested at the moment - still feeding off dad. I ahve had trouble with attaching photos - here goes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_037.jpg  

Larvae
    Thanks Sean, dont forget to save me some especially the ones that look like Dad.
    Also maybe when you have taken Dad away could you use one of the automatic feeders to give them more than 3 feeds a day.

Just an Egg

automatic feeders for fry?

Well, I don't seem to have lost too many fry and Dad seems to be coping as single parent of the year just fine. My concern is that I will be in troube with regard to feeding the fry - ATM they get a feed of fry food - mix of 3 commercially available food, and 15 later get a suirt of bbs. But this is only about 3 times a day as I am out of the house from 7.00am to 7.00pm at night. The dad seems to be looking a little skinny, but he is eating now and I expect him to put on conditon soon. Is there any ideas how I can cope with the long time without food. I still leave the lights on 24/7, and i suppose I could manage 4 feeds in a 24h period.
    Cheers
    Sean

Automatic feeders are the answer in cases like yours where outside commitments keep you away from home for 12 hours at a time. I haven't used them, so can't comment on brands, but I know Proteus has some on his tanks. Maybe he can give an opinion on the best ones to buy.