Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Congrats on your fry Sean

Here is a link the an auto feeder that I use on a number of tanks - can program for up to four feeds a day.

It's basically the chinese version of the Eheim feeder & works really well IMO

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod791.htm

Regards

Dave

Just an Egg
    Cheers for the info. I will look into the auto feeders, hopefully the lil buggers will take the finely crushed flake food. I have just received some white worm culture that I got through ebay, so I will be able to give them a treat when I get home from work. The father is back to eating lots now so things look good -
    Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this post - now what to do with 50 odd discus? - They have been so much work - I don't want to part with them, kinda attached to em' - I think it is an addiction this discus keeping and I am not sure there is a cure

Just an Egg
    Thanks again for your valuable advice, Ladyred and Rod! Well, I think that the fry are now close to 6 weeks of age - and I have not changed the arrangement with the dad looking after them - As I am away for most of the day I feed them all lots when I am at home - bbs for the fry and beef heart mix and also a fry flake food. I still have the lights on 24/7 as I think it means I can leave food in the tank longer. I have ordered an auto feeder from the website (ta, Dave) - The dad looks great - I have never seen him with such vivid colouring and he eats heaps - the babies still chew on him a bit, but he doesn't seem to mind - I have cut back the water changes to every 2nd day (3/4RO and 1/4 conditioned tap). When do you think I am 'out of the woods', should I slowly change the water parameters now so I can grow them out in 100% conditioned adelaide tap water? Would they be growing faster being on continuous lighting? The larger of the fry are 5 cent piece size and there are quite a few 1/3rd of this size, all seem to be eating well though. I have moved 5 fry out into another tank (cycled from the water that I took daily from the fry's tank for the last month) to see how they fare without dad. Sorry to bombard you with questions but I am hesitant to change what seems to be working.
    Cheers again for you support.
    Sean

Sean, that's fantastic news. Congratulations. Now, we want lots and lots of piccies. You are well past the danger time. All you need to do now, is keep those babies growing on by giving them plenty of food and lots of clean water.

That sounds pretty average size for babies at around 6 weeks. I'd move some of the bigger ones out into the other tank, and leave the smaller ones with dad. Having dad there just gives them more confidence and encourages them to eat.

Now would be a good time to slowly change them onto Adelaide water, but do make it slow, like over a month or so. Change your lighting when you feel ready. Begin by turning the tank lights out but leaving the room light on, then cut that down to just a small lamp in the room and finally full lights out. They will adjust to a period of darkness very quickly. Reverse the order to simulate sunrise.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend