Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frozen BBS

Just an Egg

Frozen BBS

Will ProAqua frozen baby brine shrimp suffice as a fry food?

It seems like a good alternative to hatching or buying newly hatched BBS.

Any thoughts?

I have not come across this food in the UK, but it might be ok. What I would hesitate at is that fry seem to like the jumpy movements of live BBS if this new food just falls past them, they might not eat it so readily.

Steve
    Why me ?

Larvae
    when do you start feeding the fry BBS?

I generally start at 5 to 6 days free swimming. They seem to like them at this age and once they get the taste they murder them. I start by squirting them over the backs of the parent fish so they stick in the mucus which the fry feed off. Once they see them as a food source, thats it.
    Why me ?

Larvae
    mine have been free swimming for just over a week now and they dont seem to be too interested with the BBS. any suggestions? can you feed the fry anything else?

San Merah Discus
    ProAqua is an excellent Australian brand and fry will take it but for mine there is no substitute for live food in the first few weeks. It can be a bit of a pain depending on how you have it set up but growing your own brine shrimp and feeding them on spirulina and Astaxanthin you know your fry are getting what they need. If you're cost conscious you needn't waste any of the BB either, we just threw them in a 2ft tank next to the BB set up with plenty of air and food and let them go for a week or three, they make excellent food for your older fish.
    Cheers
    MAC

Quote Originally Posted by mistakes r crucial
    If you're cost conscious you needn't waste any of the BB either, we just threw them in a 2ft tank next to the BB set up with plenty of air and food and let them go for a week or three, they make excellent food for your older fish.
    Cheers
    MAC
    Now there is something I would like to do well but have never had the time to play with. Maybe a new thread on how people do this would be good. Methods, foods, water changes etc etc
    Why me ?

San Merah Discus
    There was nothing real scientific about it Steve so I don't know that I'd make such a good thread starter on this lol. Maybe that's why it worked for us but we just kept the water at about 8.4, changed water (30%) about 3 times a week and threw a handful of rock salt in there after a water change to keep the hydrometer bobbing about at the top of the green line, I can't even remember what the numbers were. We fed them spirulina powder laced with Astaxanthin every couple of days when we remembered and were walking past the tank and they grew like h*ll. They make a great live food and especially if you keep good tucker up to them, they pass most of it on. Oh, plenty of light apart from when you want to catch the little suckers.
    Cheers
    MAC

San Merah Discus
    Loads of air too.

San Merah Discus
    I better clarify something that I've just re read. The excellent brand I was referring to is PosAqua and not ProAqua, don't know what I was thinking.
    Cheers
    MAC