Using Thermal & Salinity treatment to eradicate Ich

This could prove invaluable for those that keep any species of fish that are particularly prone to Ich (Whitespot).

Raising the aquarium temperature may help combat in infectious disease in some (if not most) situations. Thermal treatment can be beneficial in one or more ways;

* Thermally-induced death of parasites. The protozoan parasites Ichthyophthirius and Ichthyobodo (costia) are normally unable to complete their life cycles above 28-30c (81-85f), so raising the temperature to just beyond this critical value for approx 1 week will effectively eradicate these parasites, assuming the affected fish species are able to tolerate this degree of heat (many cannot).

* Acceleration of parasite metabolism. Increasing the water temperature (even by 1-2 degrees) will generally speed up the life cycles of parasites, and thus shorten the periods spent at chemical-resistant stages (eg, cysts). When used in combination with a suitable chemical remedy or introduction of diluted aquarium salt, at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (19 Litres) during partial water changes, thermal treatments often effect a faster cure. (total dilution should not exceed 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons tank capacity)

* Increasing the waters temperature can sometimes influence a fish's ability to combat diseases - within physiological limits, the speed and efficiency of the immune response system increases with water temperature. Likewise, an increase in temperature may speed up the metabolic rate, helping the healing process.

After treatment the temperature should be returned to normal at a gradual rate, (over 4-5 days is recommended).

Remember higher temps means less oxygen in the water so more aeration may be needed to compensate, (via an air stone or additional surface agitation).

HTH

Medium Discus
    Just one question,
    Why not keep the temp up all the time? I keep mine at 88F all the time and the Discus like it.

I wonder if there are ayn disadvantages of keeping the temp high (other than the heating bill

also:

Salt can help many diseases, particularly those that cause the fish body to lose water via the lysis of lesions on the fishes body or in the gills.

Salt increases the slime coat on the fish and decreases the osmotic stress on the fish.

Salts also act as a mild detox for the fishes gut tract, especially Epsom salts.

Just an Egg
    G'day. What is aquarium salt Sorry I am new to this method of treatment. Do you mean a reef salt solution? Also would you recomend this practice before introducing new Discus to the aquarium.
    Thanks.

Todd
    Discus
    3x adult Snow White
    4x adult Red Dragon
    2x adult Green Turquiose
    3x adult Red Turquiose
    2x Juvi Red Turquiose

Just an Egg
    The easiest salt to use is Rock Salt available from any Supermarket but be warned do not use Table salt or you will kill your fish. You can buy some medicated salts from your LFS but I have not used them and found that generally rock slat will do the trick. The problem with using marine salt is that it is made to increase ph and hardness and this is not suitable for some fish mainly south americans but should suit africans in limited quantities.